1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 6 Meditating

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by orffgirl, Jun 22, 2015.

1. orffgirl

orffgirl New Member

Just now I spent some time in meditation after journalling, as suggested in the SEP for Day 6. The whole time I had this going through my head: "children should be seen and not heard". This is what I heard from my father throughout my whole childhood. I had forgotten about it until today. Wow it really unleashed a lot of feelings - sadness that my father didn't want to know what I thought or felt about things, and anger that he didn't acknowledge my intellect and feelings. When I finished meditating, I realized I had been crying. That was really powerful. And I was one of the people who thought I had a really happy childhood with nothing to uncover.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, orffgirl. You discovered that your childhood wasn't as happy as you thought. I learned the same about mine when journaling,
    and it helped. I heard that expression when I was a kid, too. "Seen and not heard." I think everyone has gone too far in the opposite direction. Kids today seem to run the house. There should be a balance, like in everything.

Crying is okay. It releases the pressure in our heads and hearts.

Your father probably kept his own thoughts and feelings to himself. That didn't help him, you, or anyone. But few people seem willing to talk about themselves. That may be why so many people talk about sports and things going on in the news and
    pop culture. They don't get personal about it. But I think it helps everyone to share thoughts and feelings.