1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 39 Meditating

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by scrat26, Aug 24, 2016.

1. scrat26

scrat26 New Member

I haven't posted for awhile, but thought would respond to today's question on meditating. I am new to meditating, a friend encouraged me to give it a go, and this is before I found out about TMS. I find it really relaxing, and a great way to start the day. But sometimes it doesn't always "work". I mean, sometimes I just can't relax into it, I think 'what if the phone rings' or 'someone knocks on the door'...... It's like, I know I'm stubborn, so the more I push, the more I push back. I know I'm not the only one but my mind just doesn't shut up sometimes! But I am learning. I have found it helpful using it with this program and have had some insights from it too, that I've then been able to journal on. I have found that it has helped reduce stress and worry (I'm a worrier) and there have been some added personal health benefits too. I have found that it's helped with frustration, I'm a little bit more laid back and can catch myself, to let it go and relax a little, stop trying so hard. It will happen.
    Thanks for reading, have a fantastic day.

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I think that re-focusing is one of the keys to meditating. Our minds naturally wander, but you can use a word like "calm" to gently dismiss those thoughts without rancor.
    In typical Type A fashion, I can be thinking of many different things at once or in rapid sequence. But when I meditate I just use my focus word to gently return to the meditation. You may want to try that:joyful:

3. scrat26

scrat26 New Member

Thanks Gigi.
    I do use the word 'calm' when I meditate, and it helps me to relax my body to, if I find I'm tensing when some thoughts pop up. I meant more that some days meditating is more successful than others, and that it's the 'control' part of me that might make it harder. For example, last week we were expecting the plumber, might be Monday or Tuesday, but no definite time given. I find this frustrating because I end up waiting and wasting time waiting and don't get things done (like meditating and journalling) because of the interruption, that might or might not happen today! I like to know what's going on, and I guess I can't fully relax while meditating even though that is what it's for. I don't know if that makes sense!!!!

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Absolutely. Some days it's just harder to carve out the time.
    On school days I meditate as soon as I leave the bedroom, in the morning. That way I get few minutes in before I need to leave the house.

scrat26 likes this.