1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 MBS parts 1&2 by Dr. Schubiner

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Timothy007ish, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Timothy007ish

Timothy007ish New Member

Today's recommended reading of
    Dr. Schubiner's blog posts is encouraging and more confirmation that I am starting to 'get it'.

Dr. Schubiner writes:
    "The emotions that tend to have the largest effect on us are precisely those that we are unaware of."

I think these emotions are possibly some I've had an inkling of but have historically been very accomplished at denying. I suppose that's the meaning of repression. Duh.
    The second section in today's reading on depression is nothing new here. I've experienced virtually all of those symptoms at some point in my life. These days, from all outward appearances I have a great life and really nothing to be depressed about, however, sometimes it's as though a wave of sadness just crashes over me for no obvious reason. No discernable trigger. Just -BAM- like you were walking on the beach and got sidelined by a rouge wave.
    I've learned through the years that exercise is the best medicine for my depression. So, I work out faithfully. I've also found that tDCS is effective recently. I've been using it for several months now and had good result. It seems to smooth out the highs and lows. It makes me feel normal, although admittedly I am not likely the best judge of that.
    I am looking forward to learning more about how to apply TMS/MBS treatment principles to depression. I would be grateful for any suggestions or pointers in that regard. Thank you!

Also, I looked over the TMS Personality Traits list and I identify with a couple of them, particularly people pleasing. I seem to crave affirmation and acceptance. I just need people to like me.
    That and low self-esteem. I think my inner bully spends more time in the gym then I do. He's pretty good at kicking my butt.

All of this self focused thinking and learning is having the desired effect. My pain is really diminished again today.
    Very grateful here. Thank you!

Ellen likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Timothy.

I think we all feel depressed at times. We have to find ways to be happy and enjoy the present, not stressing about the past or future. There are many good free videos on Youtube about handling depression.

I'm not big on feeling the feelings. I just journaled to discover the repressed emotions
    and felt them briefly, then put them behind me.

This article about feelings could help you.

“Why,” you ask, “should I be in touch with my feelings?”

The phrase about being in touch with our feelings has been around as long as psychotherapy. But what does it mean exactly? Aren’t we having feelings all the time? Yes, but sometimes the feelings we think we’re having aren’t the feelings we’re really having.

Maybe you find yourself angry at another person. Almost everything he does or says pisses you off. “He’s so full of himself,” you are thinking. “I wish he’d just go jump in a lake!” He happens to be a very good looking and popular man who has a great sense of style, qualities you lack. The feeling you’re not in touch with, the one you wouldn’t want to touch with a 10-foot laser, is the jealousy that lurks underneath your anger. Being out of touch with the jealousy may cause you to be inappropriately angry. Being in touch, on the other hand, might preclude the anger or at least prevent it from getting out of control.

Being in touch allows you to have healthy relationships with yourself and others. When you are in touch, you are grounded; you know yourself in the classical sense. You’re aware of how your feelings impact your thoughts and actions. Knowing that, you can better ascertain how you and your feelings will interact with other people and their feelings. Hence you’ll relate to people with a minimum of conflict.

Freud referred to neurotic defense mechanisms as ways we try to avoid being in touch with feelings. When an alcoholic uses denial, one of the defense mechanisms, to avoid taking responsibility for his drinking problem, the problem gets worse. He is not only denying that he has a drinking problem, he is refusing to get in touch with the feelings that underlie the addiction, feelings such as anger, sadness, or shame; these feelings need to be resolved but can’t be resolved as long as he stays out of touch with them.

Most often it is anger that people are not in touch with. I have had many clients who bring in dreams full of anger, but are clueless about the extent of the anger inside them. For example, a client might have dreams about people who betray him, about sharks that surround him in the water and threaten to eat him, about friends who do not listen to him. A client might be furious at his bosses and see them as rigid and unable to see any point of view but their own. He may also see his wife or girlfriend that way. And he may eventually see his therapist that way.

A client will begin to be critical of the psychotherapist’s method. The client finds his method too rigid, too impersonal. Or it is too loose and without boundaries. Or it is hypocritical. This critical attitude stems from his general anger at authority figures. He is convinced of the distrust of authorities and looks for reasons to be angry. But eventually this free-floating anger may come out inappropriately and jeopardize his job.

The client will usually reveal at some point the source of his anger. It may be that his parents were intolerably rigid or fundamentally religious and could not empathize with their children A client may have been sexually abused. A client may have been beaten. The client will talk of these things in passing but not want to dwell on them or work through the feelings. He doesn’t want to blame his parents. However, if the client does not work through the source of his anger—that is, if he doesn’t get in touch with his feelings—he will act them out in his life.

A client has a passive-aggressive or avoidance disorder that is greatly curtailing his functioning. As a passive aggressive he cannot express anger directly (perhaps because his parents were intolerant of direct expressions of anger) so it leaks out sideways and messes up his relationships. If he has an avoidance disorder, he avoids anything that smacks of rejection in order to control (and not get in touch with) his feelings.

A client may have a paranoid disorder in which she always thinks people are watching and talking about her. She complains about going to work each day and hearing people chattering and laughing at her. What she is not in touch with is the deeper sadness and anger about her overbearing father or mother that she has repressed. She uses the defense mechanism of splitting in order to protect her ideal image of her parents. Because she’s not in touch, she feels self-conscious about always being watched and is painfully shy, which makes matters worse.
    These are just some of the many ways people are not in touch with feelings. In all cases, when we aren’t in touch with feelings, we act them out, over and over again.in an endless cycle. A father comes home and displaces his anger with his boss on his children and rationalizes (another defense mechanism) that he is doing it because they need discipline.

The key to change lies in getting in touch with our anger and how it is causing us to misinterpret our world and react inappropriately. To get in touch with the anger, we must understand where it originally came from—that is, the situations in our life that originally bred it. Often getting in touch with the most essential source of anger is the greatest resistance to the treatment. It is not always anger that one hides from; sometimes it is irrational fear or persistent jealousy or a deep sense of inadequacy or shame. Whatever the feelings are, they need to be uncovered.

3. Timothy007ish

Timothy007ish New Member

Thanks again, this is an interesting article.
    I like the idea of simply uncovering the emotions and moving on. I don't really want to relive them.
    I read this morning that:
    ●Recognizing,
    ●Acknowledging,
    ●Confronting,
    ●and Accepting my suppressed emotions and "my hidden emotions about my emotions" will end the need for my subconscious to distract my attention from them and therefore eliminates the need for the pain.
    This is my goal. Feeling and fruitless remembering are not a part of the plan. Staying on track in this regard will surely take patience and practice but I believe it is doable.