1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

Massage advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stef, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

I just finished a very stressful semester of nursing school and was considering getting a massage from a friend of mine that is a message therapist. It sounded like a nice way to reward myself with some relaxation BUT I have not had a massage since this summer after I read Dr. Sarno's book. I used to get them at least once per month because of my symptoms. I recovered about 95% thru his book and going thru the programs on this site. I feel like a drunk asking for permission for a drink. Would it be bad and cause me to go down that road again? I am still doing well. Symptoms would come and go thoughout the semester but I knew related directly to how much pressure I was under at the time. I struggle with being mindful. I know it was stress related the way it comes and goes and shifts a little bit. I didn't make the time for my TMS work but I was always cognizant of it. I am doing a "TMS reboot" while I am on winter break. I really feel guilty for even thinking about a massage. Like this is AA or something. Ugh. Advice? I should just get the idea out of my head huh? I had started using my foam roller again a couple of weeks ago & I feel guilty about that too. I started using it because I haven't hesitated to workout and have being upping my resistance training. I was sore & the foam roller felt so good. I feel I shouldn't be doing that either. Double Ugh. Are we not allowed to have these comforts anymore?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

You can certainly have a massage! There is a big difference between getting a massage because you think there is something physically wrong and you are trying to remedy it, and getting a massage because it feels good, is relaxing and a good way to pamper yourself. You should pamper and reward yourself with something you enjoy! When I get a massage I let them know I am just there for relaxation and stress relief. It is a great way to relax and unwind.

Stef and Boston Redsox like this.
  3. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Thank you Anne. That is a good point. I will make sure to tell her I am there for just relaxation. I asked her about scheduling a massage & she added in "we will do trigger point work." That is when I thought "Oh, no here we go." I just know Dr. Sarno says you have to get out of the physical all together & I never want to go back to that nightmare of chasing the next thing. Physical therapy, massage, Chiropractor, Airrosti (also trigger point/fascia work), Rolfing, Acupuncture, and on & on. I think I have PTSD from all that. Ridiculous!!!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Stef,

Anne is right on in her post.

You may experience some pain due to association/conditioning. At a subconscious level your mind may still associate massage with pain and some reduction of blood flow may occur.

However, don't let it bother you. Just focus on the how a massage makes you feel and pain, if any at all, will subside.

Stef likes this.
  5. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Thank you
    Thank you so much for your advice. I will remember what you said Fred. I am so thankful for this site. A massage may seem like a silly problem to have but it was bothering me so I knew I had to ask about it on here. I am just afraid of that whole road again. I am not doing it...all the appointments & worry/obsession. No...not happening. :)

6. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Good for you.

Go forth with positive expectations and enjoy your massage.

Stef likes this.