1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Massage advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Stef, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

I just finished a very stressful semester of nursing school and was considering getting a massage from a friend of mine that is a message therapist. It sounded like a nice way to reward myself with some relaxation BUT I have not had a massage since this summer after I read Dr. Sarno's book. I used to get them at least once per month because of my symptoms. I recovered about 95% thru his book and going thru the programs on this site. I feel like a drunk asking for permission for a drink. Would it be bad and cause me to go down that road again? I am still doing well. Symptoms would come and go thoughout the semester but I knew related directly to how much pressure I was under at the time. I struggle with being mindful. I know it was stress related the way it comes and goes and shifts a little bit. I didn't make the time for my TMS work but I was always cognizant of it. I am doing a "TMS reboot" while I am on winter break. I really feel guilty for even thinking about a massage. Like this is AA or something. Ugh. Advice? I should just get the idea out of my head huh? I had started using my foam roller again a couple of weeks ago & I feel guilty about that too. I started using it because I haven't hesitated to workout and have being upping my resistance training. I was sore & the foam roller felt so good. I feel I shouldn't be doing that either. Double Ugh. Are we not allowed to have these comforts anymore?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

You can certainly have a massage! There is a big difference between getting a massage because you think there is something physically wrong and you are trying to remedy it, and getting a massage because it feels good, is relaxing and a good way to pamper yourself. You should pamper and reward yourself with something you enjoy! When I get a massage I let them know I am just there for relaxation and stress relief. It is a great way to relax and unwind.

rmadera, Stef and Boston Redsox like this.
  3. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Thank you Anne. That is a good point. I will make sure to tell her I am there for just relaxation. I asked her about scheduling a massage & she added in "we will do trigger point work." That is when I thought "Oh, no here we go." I just know Dr. Sarno says you have to get out of the physical all together & I never want to go back to that nightmare of chasing the next thing. Physical therapy, massage, Chiropractor, Airrosti (also trigger point/fascia work), Rolfing, Acupuncture, and on & on. I think I have PTSD from all that. Ridiculous!!!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Hi Stef,

Anne is right on in her post.

You may experience some pain due to association/conditioning. At a subconscious level your mind may still associate massage with pain and some reduction of blood flow may occur.

However, don't let it bother you. Just focus on the how a massage makes you feel and pain, if any at all, will subside.

rmadera and Stef like this.
  5. Stef

Stef Peer Supporter

Thank you
    Thank you so much for your advice. I will remember what you said Fred. I am so thankful for this site. A massage may seem like a silly problem to have but it was bothering me so I knew I had to ask about it on here. I am just afraid of that whole road again. I am not doing it...all the appointments & worry/obsession. No...not happening. :)

6. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

Good for you.

Go forth with positive expectations and enjoy your massage.

rmadera and Stef like this.