1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Making Some Progress but Need Help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by COgirl05, May 12, 2015.

1. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

I'm making some progress with my back pain. My flare ups are getting shorter I think and they are spreading out a little more, but I still get them every couple weeks atleast. Is this normal for TMS recovery? I'm trying to fight the fear part of it and not let myself go to that place and it's getting a little easier but today the pain is a little overwhelming again. I'm trying to give it the silent treatment. Yesterday afternoon, I got frustrated with an ongoing family issue and it came on strong last night. I need some encouragement that I'm on the right track and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I will be pain-free sometime!

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, COgirl. You are on the right track so long as your belief in TMS s 100 percent.
    Pain can come and go, or move around with TMS. That's normal.
    You were under some family stress and that is bound to increase the pain.
    Especially since the family issue is on-going.

Dr. Sarno writes that we no not have to solve an issue that causes us to have painful emotions,
    we just have to recognize the issues. Maybe journaling can help you to discover the reasons for
    the family issues. I was able to do that and understood them better. I was repressing anger
    when my parents divorced when I was seven and it left me with feelings of abandonment and'
    insecurity. Journaling helped me to realize they had their own TMS from their childhood and
    into adult life which led to the divorce. Understanding them better helped me to forgive them
    and forgiveness is one of the best ways to end TMS pain.

3. COgirl05

COgirl05 Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt. I have known about TMS for over a year and have every reason to believe it's TMS. I do however find myself now wondering of it's pregnancy, which logically I know it's not and then I still try to stretch it out. I also work for a chiropractor and I try really hard to not let him adjust me, but when I have relapses, I want to get adjusted. I try to tell myself that it won't help though.

I've also tried journaling a ton. I'm not sure if it helps me or not. I write about it and I have a TMS psychologist too but I never really feel very different after doing it. I feel like I have a good grasp on why my emotions are the way they are.

4. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

COgirl05 - it sounds like you are on the right track to me. Keep the faith and you'll get there. I imagine working in a chiro's office and being tempted to get adjustments makes it more difficult. Any glimmer that there's a physical reason behind our pain can definitely throw us off track.