1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Major setback

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by whofeelslove, Jan 13, 2016.

1. whofeelslove

whofeelslove Peer Supporter

hi all
    Things had settled down with my back and leg pain after awful surgery and after doing the SEP i was on a roll, stopped my gabapentin and gained more confidence in TMS. I was walking more and standing longer to the point where I forgot about TMS and my symptoms..
    This last week I noticed little onsets again in right leg and Sunday morning I awoke to debilitating hip/leg and back pain...
    I tried to ignore it and focus on current stressors..applied for new job..being alone in America..not seeing my daughter at Christmas and spending the entire time alone..
    On top of that my job is very stressful every day as I drive a truck into Chicago and I hate it and want to just quit...
    Now all these symptoms are coming back with foot numbness and burning I feel defeated and I can't seem to get out of the fear of it being serious or structural.:,.i can't manage the pain
    Help please?
    Ian

2. jrid32

jrid32 Peer Supporter

Ian - from what I have learned so far about TMS is that an increase of pain and/or movement and/or additional symptoms is a GOOD thing. Sounds weird, right?!? It just means that the brain does not want to give up so soon i.e. pouring on more pain to get you to think physical vs. pyscho plus adds doubt to TMS....

3. AndrewMillerMFT

AndrewMillerMFT Well known member

Hi Ian,

jrid32 has a great point. May I also say that it is not uncommon to have flare ups. Unfortunately, when flare-ups arise we can have two less than fully helpful reactions to them:

We can quickly get scared and begin to let doubt creep in about the TMS diagnosis. This would be a good time to review any evidence you have on evidence lists to remind you of what it is.

Additionally, we can get really frustrated that we know it's TMS, we have an idea of our unconscious processes, we've been doing the "work" of TMS and perseverate about why the pain isn't going away. This, in turn, can add to the underlying anger, rage, and frustration that feed the TMS. At these times I recommend that it's okay to go back to old ways of coping, even for a short time, like increasing your meds. It's okay, there will be another day to fight the TMS. We just want to be mindful that if the TMS isn't reacting the way you want it to on a specific day, that we don't give it too much of an opportunity to take hold of our minds (as a distraction or because it's stimulating our underlying emotions).

Hope that helps!

Best of luck to you,

Andrew

Forest likes this.