1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

lower back muscle strain and muscle spasm

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by brendan537, Jan 21, 2016.

1. brendan537

brendan537 Peer Supporter

what do I do when this happens? I cant sleep, cant bend without a shooting pinching pain, cant shower... how long does this last?

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

During the immediate time of a catastrophic back event, there isn't much you can really do except be quiet and perhaps take a pain reliever like ibuprofen. But after the pain subsides, it's best to begin the SEP (structured education program) offered on the TMS Wiki tab above. You probably want to join this site too, introduce yourself and start working on publishing your personal story so that other members can contact you (and you them) to place your situation in perspective. What you describe is not unusual at all. And, oh yes, I do have to ask whether you have had yourself checked out my an orthodox MD to rule out any other underlying causes for your LBP and spasms? He/she will probably not uncover anything since lower back pain is so common and usually without any pathology driving it. After you've ruled out Mr C or autoimmune disorders, you'll be able to approach your condition as a mind-body disorder or PPD (psycho-physiological disorder). This site offers all kinds of ways of addressing what are probably the emotional causes for your pain. You might want to chat with other members on Saturdays during the TMS Wiki chat group. You'll probably also want to look at all the success stories on this site to give you some perspective on your own situation and how it can be healed. Reading Healing Back Pain by Dr John E. Sarno is also a very instructive first step to take if you want to understand why you're have back spasms and pain. A very instructive read!

3. brendan537

I have had everything done to my back you can possibly think of

4. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

The therapy offered on the TMS Wiki hasn't got to do with "doing something physical" to your back or joints. It has to do with changing your mind and hence reprogramming your neural pathways and behavior patterns. Check out the SEP and by all means read Dr Sarno's Healing Back Pain. Well, at least you've already ruled out lupus and ALS! Now to get down to the real head work involved in healing your back pain.

5. brendan537

I am almost done with HBP by Sarno the pain was always on my left side, it has been crippling for 3 years now I am 21 years old and it was ruining my life... working the principles of the book the pain subsided 60%, now the right lower back went out over the weekend and its crippling any movement I make it pinches.

6. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

Brendan it hurts and that is a truth....and your back may hurt for awhile. The question becomes do you believe that this too will pass and its not a structural or a medical issue. Have you seen a Dr.?

Ironically when I had lower back pain and sciatica I assure you I was in pain but for some reason it didn't scare me...I thoght why bother going to a Dr everyone has lower back pain...it stayed with me for quite awhile and then one day it was gone don't get me wrong I went for acupuncture, Alexander technique had trouble working out I wad convinced if I fixed my posture my pain would be gone and as I said one day it was gone...

Now fast foward to my neck that has always been a problem all my life all my tension..when that became a bigger problem this summer stiff and sharp pains in my uppert back I freaked out!!! Now I'm on a TMS journey of discovery... Is my neck still stiff yes, do I still get some shooting pain yes but I see that this is all about my mind and attitude my back hurt and I didn't care very much but my neck that was different and so it has been a very different journey... You see I decided my neck must be structural but didn't believe my lower back was so one healed quicker and the other has me on a journey..

What can you do now while in pain breathe...close your eyes and find a calm safe place. Take some pain medication to soothe perhaps even a tranquilizer to calm yourself. Click around this Forum there is so much information that may be helpful.

I hope this makes some sense and helps.
    Wishing you healing thoughts.

Warmly, Susan

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016