1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

"Looking to the Past for Answers to Modern Medical Problems"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Rosie, May 23, 2014.

1. Rosie

Rosie New Member

Becca likes this.
  2. PaulBlack

PaulBlack Peer Supporter

"emerging research that links medically unexplained ailments, including many chronic painful conditions, to “dis-ease” of the mind. It may well be that some very old ideas, rather than new scientific breakthroughs, are needed to solve certain modern problems."

Yeah, Sarno mentioned Freud's "phantom pains" talked about, way back when. But again, without microscopic data/cells/bugs to point to, many in the medical field will continue to shy from, or treat by way of the lab more than the couch.
    I know it has come a long way and we are still making strides linking mind/body, but I run into so many people (younger as he states in the article) that have some kind of re-occurring pain and or maladies that are hard to pinpoint.
    I am glad some doctors are not afraid of ridicule and are pushing forward to find answers that have baffled the medical field for centuries.

Rosie likes this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

PaulBlack, I think a lot of young people have pain or other maladies because they're living in
    such a stressful time, with wars, terrorism, the economy, and so much technology that spreads
    bad news. And many are from parents who divorced and they feel abandoned or unloved.

More doctors are starting to learn about and accept TMS as the cause of "phantom pains,"
    so the word is spreading.

Psychology Today ought to start a campaign spreading the TMS word.

Rosie likes this.
  4. PaulBlack

PaulBlack Peer Supporter

"I think a lot of young people have pain or other maladies because they're living in
    such a stressful time, with wars, terrorism, the economy, and so much technology that spreads
    bad news. And many are from parents who divorced and they feel abandoned or unloved."

Sure, understood, but I also follow Dr Sarno's logic from "Healing Back Pain", that young people just have more or the most stress going on at the juncture in life. Beginning adulthood, or the work/career force, perhaps starting a family, bills, rent or mortgages, being a responsible parent and bread winner and on and on.
    As he stated, even though it would seem that elderly people would have the most joint and back pain, they were not the ones with the most pain even if they showed the most deterioration in spinal x-rays say. And I could see pressure on young people in almost any time or era and any culture, really. It just makes sense to me.

IrishSceptic likes this.