1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Steve2 is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern - ***NOTE*** now on U.S. Daylight Time.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Looking For Support And Courage

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by billiewells, Dec 26, 2015.

1. billiewells

billiewells Peer Supporter

I only started my TMS journey in November and am having TMS therapy. As I have explained before in this forum, my leg is the problem on a physical level and walking has been limited to fifty yards. I have a background of years of anxiety and when very bad have agoraphobia.

I was dreading the festive season without family or my partner, but I got through it quite well considering. After a very frightening food poisoning drama, that I have also spoken about here involving paramedics, my nerves and confidence were in pieces. Considering all this I felt I was doing well.

However today, whilst eating my lunch my tooth snapped off at the gum line. I had avoided going to the dentist because of my nerves and had done a temporary filling myself. Now, however I will have to cope with going out to dentist AND having treatment, which I assume will be root canal, if there is enough of a root left. With TMS symptoms, the recent paramedic drama and then having to cope with this, I am overwhelmed. Should anyone suggest sedation or similar, please understand that for me that is simply not an option - that would be even scarier. I dont know how to approach all this and feel even more bewildered by this dreadful period I am going through.

Any suggestions anyone?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Billiewells. The dental problem surely has added to your feeling overwhelmed. Maybe try Advil for the tooth pain. I need a filling and am resisting going to the dentist. A temporary filling is doing a good job for me and I feel no pain. I use 3M ESPE and bought it from amazon.com delivered.

I don;'t believe in root canals. I;d rather have the tooth pulled. I think dentists just want to give root canals because they make a lot of money with them.
    I never heard of root canals until a few years ago. I think most people have them as a status symbol.

If you have some bourbon in the house, put some of that on the tooth ache.

If you absolutely have to go to the dentist, ask a friend or family member to take you there. Practice deep breathing and positive thinking.
    I like a Youtube video for relaxing and relieving anxiety: "Guided Meditation for Detachment from Over-Thinking." Michael Sealey's voice is very soothing and just about puts me to sleep.

You feel overwhelmed, but remember, This too shall pass. The best is yet to come!

silentflutes likes this.
  3. billiewells

Thanks Walt, I had used temporary filling hence current predicament- the tooth has snapped literally to gum level and so nothing to fill ...... I have to see a dentist!!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Billiewells. If the snapped tooth doesn't hurt or make it hard to eat, I'd put any treatment on the back burner. My dentist said I needed four fillings and I didn't have the money. I decided to put it off until something hurt. That was eight years ago and not a single toothache!

If you decide to see a dentist, to get up courage watch that Youtube video, drink a cup of hot milk, do some deep breathing and tell yourself "I can do anything I set my mind to do."

5. lexylucy

lexylucy Well known member

Have you ever seen the movie Temple Grandin?
    It is an amazing true story of a women with autism and special abilities. I only bring it up because I was thinking about her today. In the movie - temple- who has terrible issues with social anxiety, builds a "squeeze machine" for herself that calms her down and helps her function. I was thinking about it today because my boyfriend gave me a super hard squeeze and I felt it for hours later. I just felt more calm.

Anyway this is my way of saying you sound like you could use a big hug!!! What a mess of unfortunate circumstances.
    But hey- it sounds to me like if you face the dentist it could be something that is resolved relatively quickly and harmlessly.
    I am with you on fear of the dentist! Who wants to go pay a truckload of money for a bunch of pain. But it is one of those -gotta do it- things.

I think you are very brave for reaching out and sharing your story.

Lexy Lucy

6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

You can use some basic Somatic Experiencing techniques to address anxiety, and increase well-being.

This is deceptively simple, yet powerful, the practice of "orienting through the five senses." It calms anxiety and brings more well being. Sometimes I just use my eyes, and look all around my environment, and orient to something I like. It is soothing.

Good luck!

7. billiewells

Thank you for responding Lucy. I absolutely need a big hug, I crave it after my partner left . . . try to give myself a hug but really not as satisfactory. I am oen warm and tactile, so it is hard. The dentist will be a trial for a limping agoraphobic.2016 has to be better. Thankyou for taking the time to respond.

8. billiewells

Thank you Andy, you always have such great sdvice. What a thoughtful video. My biggest problem at the moment is negotiating all this 'stuff', TMS and all the accompanying issues on my own. I can get so far into my head, then practice Outcome Independence , then get distracted by a symptom or a demand on meand I'm back to square one. I seem unable to stick to any one plan for very long, then get desperate and more tired. Tomorrow will be v hard.... Im trying not to build anticipatory anxiety, but end up making it worse!

9. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi billiewells,
    That is the way the mind is, and probably always will be. The only way to deal with it is to begin to practice: deep breathing as Walt suggests, mantra, the SE practices here, ---whatever appeals to you that you can personalize, practice, and practice on a regular basis enough over time. Then when you get lost, this practice becomes what you turn to like an old friend. It takes work in the beginning, but then becomes a place of rest. I suggest you start with something simple that takes 2 to 5 minutes, and try it 3 times a day. Then it is there when you "need it" like when you feel anxious or the mind is spinning.
    Andy B.

billiewells and silentflutes like this.