1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Looking for some reassurance

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Chris1138, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Chris1138

Chris1138 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm approximately 8 days (taken a few involuntary days off here and there as my work and parental schedule takes up most of my time) into the Structured Education Program. I started reading Dr. Sarno's books about 2 weeks ago now. I've had back pain that evolved into sciatic leg pain on my left side about a year and a half ago. I have an L4-L5 MRI diagnosed "medium" disc herniation. The pain is not constant, but prevents me from sitting back properly in a chair, sitting in a soft chair, walking, laying flat on my back, etc. I don't want to go too much into the past as I've put much of that in the Structured Education Program sub-forum, but I'm looking for some reassurance that I'm on the right track.

I struggled the first week to accept the TMS diagnosis. But in the last 2-3 days it feels like it's sinking in and just makes sense. I've also been feeling more confident that my back is strong and not structurally compromised. At the same time, I've noticed periods where I'm able to lay flat on my back and sit back properly in a chair with no symptoms at all (feels too good to be true!) although these moments seem to come and go with no consistency. I've also found 25% of the time when I'm walking the pain is muted and in 1 or 2 instances has disappeared the longer I've walked.

My new fears are that last evening I felt a pang of pain on my RIGHT side lower back - right on the opposite side of my spine than my usual ache. Of course, I immediately thought of the piggyback ride I gave one of my four year olds (trying to push past my fears and have confidence in my back). Today, by the end of the day my lower back on both sides is very achy in a new way. I know about the symptom imperative, but I guess I'm wondering if new things like this pain and achiness can/should be popping up if my original symptoms (numbness, tingling in the original leg) have no disappeared. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm not turning back now, but hoping to allay some simmering fears.

Thanks.

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Sounds to me like you are reingaging muscles in your back that haven't been used in that way for a while. As you know when anyone exercises in a new routine, achiness for a few days is normal. Don't be alarmed! Allow space and keep calm around symptoms and sensations that may pop up as you reintroduce normal movement and attitudes towards your mind and body. You are doing great!

Helenlouise and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

birdsetfree likes this.
  4. Chris1138

Chris1138 New Member

Thanks @birdsetfree! That was exactly the reinforcement/reassurance I was looking for! I'm very achy and stiff today, but I'm going to stick to the plan and keep at it! :)

birdsetfree and Helenlouise like this.