1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by dharn999, Jan 20, 2017.

1. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

So many of you may be in the same place or have been in the same place I am with healing, getting better but constantly observing your pain to see if there is improvement... Dr. Sarno says to not constantly observe the pain because that just reinforces it because you are focused on the physical. He is right, but I have found this to be the hardest part of my healing this time around.

From my own experience I believe this struggle to be a sign of doubt/fear. If you are in the same boat, just know that you aren't alone and that this doesn't mean you can't heal or that you are an exception to the rule when it comes to TMS.

Your road may be a bit longer, but don't give in and as Dr.Sarno tells us try to think Psychological

eskimoeskimo, Mermaid and Gigalos like this.
  2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

This is why it takes time to heal... At some point though you collect so much evidence that your symptoms are TMS, that the doubt/fear about symptoms will become less and less, even when symptoms shift to other locations. Some people are able to break this cycle of reacting emotionally to symptoms quickly, where others, like me, take more than a year to learn to stay relaxed when symptoms appear.

3. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

You are so correct with the shifting of symptoms. The doubt I have currently exists because my pain is not in the exact same place as the pain my first time TMS hit... there are days that I've convinced myself that this time it's different or that maybe I never actually healed the first time:.. that's how all this works, and awareness of that is a pretty big step.. just keep moving forward and learn to laugh at it and enjoy life instead of thinking "things would be perfect if I didn't have this pain etc etc".

I'll admit, I do struggle with enjoying things because of the pain, but I just keep remembering that I'm actually fine and nothing is physically wrong with me and I keep moving forward

Melody likes this.
  4. Melody

Melody New Member

Thank you for your post. I find that so encouraging.