1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

looking for hope of recovery

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by corri d, May 14, 2021.

1. corri d

corri d New Member

I was able to use the tms recovery techniques i have been learning about through the curable app and other books and resources to avoid having any pain or migraines for two weeks. i was thrilled as i have been having migraines, neck pain, and shoulder pain almost daily for two years. Drs are unable to find any physical causes for my pain.

Yesterday i had a massive migraine and today i have lingering neck pain. i still feel hopeful that i am on the right track to recovery but am having some thoughts creep in that maybe i will be in pain forever and it is all hopeless.

i am hoping to hear some of your experiences with the recovery process and if you had some pain along the way, or doubts about the process. as well as to hear about what helped you the most. i live in the Pittsburgh area and have not found a dr or therapist in this area who treats tms so i am trying to do this recovery process through books, podcasts, apps, and other means of self education and treatment.

please excuse my lack of capital letters. lol

TG957 likes this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hello corri d ,

Welcome to the Wiki and Forum. I'm happy you've found this place, and this powerful treatment for pain. It sounds like you're well on your way! I'll try to alleviate your present concern about a migraine.

It is normal to have pain return sometimes with the the mind-body syndrome, quite common. The important, wonderful thing for you is this:

This in itself is a powerful start on your journey, and this kind of "learning" ---by that I mean a deep learning of your mind-body as evidenced by these results for a couple of weeks--- goes deep and starts changing the pain patterns. What I am saying is just because you had a migraine, you're not really losing ground. You've obviously gained a great deal of ground.

So I hope you're patient, don't catastrophize over symptoms occurring. Being alarmed is natural, but try to reassure yourself with a statement like "I am making progress with my TMS, and some symptoms don't negate this." or something similar where you're being real with what's happening. Or "I am already healed, and I am learning this in time."

I had some wonderful pain-free moments with my feet when I first started out, and then it took work, slowly extending my walking, reassuring myself along the way. I used the expression with each foot step "Stop the footpain; I am willing to feel my emotions." I think this helped train my mind-body about how I understood things, and how I expected positive change.

We have the Structured Education Program at the Wiki, free, also, which you might find helpful.

Read success stories in the Forum, inquire into emotions/stress, think psychologically, and keep on keeping on!!! You're absolutely on the right track.

Andy

Balsa11 likes this.
  3. corri d

corri d New Member

Andy,

Thank you so much for responding and so quickly!

I'm feeling very hopful and empowerd today about my recovery . Your right, two weeks without pain is incredible progress, and I will focus on the upside of my recovery when the pain does come up.

Thank you for the tips! I can't wait to dig deeper into this process.

4. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

@corri d
    I had migraines all my life . I am 73. A number of years ago, I read The Divided Mind. They stopped completely. It was a long time ago now so I don't even remember how long it took or how many years ago they stopped. I mainly want to just let you know that they are absolutely TMS. Just keep with it. Best! FYI, I type in lower case as well but this tablet corrects it all. Lol

5. corri d

corri d New Member

Thanks for the reply!That gives me qlot of hope. I have been doing great since that last migraine episode. No pain since! I'm so greatful. Also, looks like my phone auto caps but my lap top dosent lol.

TrustIt likes this.
  6. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I had migraines my entire life and fully recovered by treating them as TMS. You can read my recovery story on my profile page which includes all the things I did which led to recovery.

You are well on your way to recovery.

TrustIt likes this.