1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Looking for help

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by joseph32, May 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Hello all, I have posted recently and had previously beat TMS couple years ago. The only thing I have now is constant anxiety and insomnia. I could really use some guidance with this from anyone who has dealt with this. Do you just try to ignore it? I am lost with it. I am meditating too. Thank you. Joseph

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

It would be helpful if you filled out some info on your profile page.

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Joseph, when I have anxiety attack, I look into the emotions behind it. Insomnia is another manifestation of anxiety. when I started dealing with anxiety through mindfulness and meditation, my insomnia almost disappeared.
    Good luck to you!

joseph32 likes this.
  4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

One resource people on this Forum who deal with anxiety use and refer too positively, is Claire Weekes' work.

Here is a link. http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Overcome_Anxiety_with_Dr._Claire_Weekes (Overcome Anxiety with Dr. Claire Weekes)

I think it is helpful to recognize the "anxiety about anxiety," the natural urge to fear anxiety, which only increases it. I use an "allowing" approach with clients, and I think Weekes' work uses this approach also. This in addition to mindfulness, as TG957 says, is a good combo. Witnessing: witnessing the fear and anxiety, witnessing the fear and anxiety about the fear and anxiety, and allowing all of it, as much as possible. The same goes for insomnia. Can you just lie awake, watch the fear about lying awake, and not add to this fear? I hope this helps. Anxiety and insomnia are painful.

joseph32 likes this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Joseph,

If you put the terms "insomnia" and "anxiety" into the search box at the top right of the page, it will pull up all the threads where these topics have been discussed. You will find a wealth of information that way as these are frequent topics on this Forum.

joseph32 and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Thank you for the replies.

7. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Jospeh - The claire weekes tapes helped me a bunch. When I had that 6 week spell of Insomnia, I tried to many things like showering before bed. Not watching TV, reading for 30 minutes. I tried drinking tea and so on. All of those things reminded me I was just getting ready to face another sleepless night. It wasn't until I started talking to other people and found out that many many people have sleep issues. The big difference is that they just roll with it. They get up and flip on a movie and eventually fall back asleep. They don't flip out because they aren't sleeping well, they get up and run or do laundry etc....

It typically is caused by some stress for them and it hits them here and there. For people like us...you stress because you have Insomnia which keeps the ball rolling. Try just doing what your normal routine is and if you don't sleep you won't die. You eventually will sleep. I go to bed and watch TV for 2 hours and poof I go out at some point. I look forward to laying in my comfy bed watching shows and even though all sleep experts say not to watch TV I love it. Find what works for you.

8. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Great advice Pingman and I am trying to get there. A few nights this week when I woke up I didn't really care and changed my attitude about it. A couple hours later and I fell back asleep. 4-5 hours not too bad. Last night when I woke up, I took an Ambien and slept another couple hours. Funny thing is, I don't feel as well today. I am sure it is the lingering effect of Ambien and the fact that I gave some attention to it. I also tried several suggestions before bed. But like you said, it may just be giving attention/fear to it. I will try to let go as I was before. Did it
    subside Pingman as you did this? Thanks

9. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Yep, as soon as my eyes were opened to how many people I knew who had sleeping issues I was able to begin healing. I was able to gain perspective that I wasn't the only one. I was able to think about my in-laws who wake up at 3am each night and watch old movies in bed. My wife, she does laundry when she can't sleep. My dad likes to listen t o the radio.

Theire sleepless nights last a short time as they don't even give them an ounce of worry. They think its normal and so after a few days they are back on a normal routine. Insomnia can be caused by some health issues I am sure of that. I think for you you have Insomnia induced Insomnia.

Ellen likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I try not to watch any tv or movie that keeps my mind active before bedtime.

If I can't sleep and nothing else helps, I get up and sew up the holes in my socks or tears in my pajamas or sweaters. Sewing takes concentration and puts me to sleep.

I always try to relax an hour or more before bedtime listening to soft music or watching a relaxation video on Youtube. One of my favorites is on overcoming an active mind. It's a very calming video from a man in Australia, Michael Shealey:

Annasan likes this.