1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by kyleisnowhere1, Jul 6, 2015.

1. kyleisnowhere1

kyleisnowhere1 Newcomer

Hi everyone, im so thankfull for finding this site, and have not even scratched the surface of all the amazing stories on here. Im here as I need some advice......I guess ill tell my story as best I can first. My story is complex one.

My back pain first started when I was about 21, in my lower back, specifically sciatic pain. It started with heavy lifting, and it felt like my back 'went out'. In some cases I was unable to walk, and any movement caused excruciating shooting pains down my leg.It would then happen on and off every few months or so, and I assumed it was from the 'injury'. Eventually I got worried and went to a chiropractors, and he he said something about a pinched nerve, gave me exercises, and that was that. This went on for about 2 years. I then found dr sarnos 'healing back pain' book, and after reading it, it made so much sense to me. I fit all the criteria. I realised that even as a teenager I suffered from different versions of tms. I used to get chronic knee pain for no apparent reason, to the point where if we went driving for more than 20 mins my parents would have to pull over so I could straighten my legs for a while. Ive had bad hayfever for as long as I can remember. I also had bad acne throughout my teens, as well as small bouts of astma. When I was about seventeen I also had what a thought at the time was heart pains, to the point where my parent took me to a cardiologist, but my heart was perfect. I now realise this was tms in my shoulder causing the pain.

After reading the book my pain went away about 90%. My hayfever also incredibly disappeared completely for over two years! The pain came back a few months later though, only this time my middle back. Its gotten worse and worse since then, where now I feel pain 24/7. It often keeps me up at night, and I wake up every morning with pretty severe pain. The pain now seems to be throughout my entire back, mostly spread out but sometimes everywhere at once.middle back, shoulder blades, occasional sciatic. I can no longer run, bend over properly, play with my kids, get in and out of the car etc...I feel as though its consuming my life and im well and truly obsessed. My partner tries to massage me sometimes but its to painful. I take painkillers often, too often. If affecting my life so badly, as I wake miserable most mornings because of the pain, and I cant fully enjoy any activities with my family properly. As im writing this im realising how bad it actually is! All this and im only 28.

Ive read the book again a few times, and I feel that I do understand it, and believe in the diagnosis, but what am I missing? I am positive it is tms, as the pain has jumped around so much, and also all my past issues ive explained.
    I havent been to a doctor about it since the chiro about 5 years ago, as I live in a small town in South Africa, and there are no tms aware doctors that I know of.

Im at my wits end, as I dont know what the next step is for me, so any input from anyone on this forum would be so greatly appreciated....

I apologise for the essay,
    And I look so forward to taking part in this amazing forum

IrishSceptic likes this.
  2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Im 26 and was this way since 18! it robs your life away but I'm much better thanks to Sarno. trying to get my family to understand but its impossible unless you have 'walked the walk'

kyleisnowhere1 likes this.
  3. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

hi Kyle,

You should start reading the book - Great pain deception by Steve Ozanich which explain more techniques to heal compared to Healing back pain.

Some important points by him are-
    • Do not try to heal meaning you are accepting there is something wrong with you.
    • Many ppl know what is TM but they dont put it to practice.
    • Meditation and Breathing will give results.
    Mindful meditation can be the missing link for your puzzle. If you practice this for 45 mins daily, its work out for your nervous system to become strong. I think all the sensitivity will be gone and the may no longer hurt you.

You should stretch your body..but keep in mind you are doing it for your overall health not for your symptoms while you do.
    Keep journaling. Use SEP http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Educational_Program_Day_1

Follow the Recorded Discussions.. they are invaluable

http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/The_Great_Pain_Deception

Keep in mind. Different ppl will find different approaches better.

Some people are healed by following what is mentioned in 'Presence process' book ... Live in present moment.

Keep fighting till you get better. Don't count the days..

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. kyleisnowhere1

kyleisnowhere1 Newcomer

Thanks so much indie, while definitely start the meditations....

5. Elena99

Elena99 New Member

I have been finding that taking care of myself helps. I don't have the same symptoms that you do -- because I knit, crochet, play video games and had a computer-heavy job, TMS showed up in my elbows, arms, and shoulders. It moved around a lot. I still feel a little pain now, but I know it's emotional.

I try to make sure I get enough rest, listen to music I like, go for walks, and I also knit through the pain. I mostly ignore it. After a minute or two of knitting, it tends to go away actually. I'm aware it's there, but I don't let it concern me. It used to get really intense, but it doesn't do that anymore, so it must be working.

kyleisnowhere1 likes this.