1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 24 Lookin for a TMS GPS...

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by vandy1313, Nov 7, 2014.

1. vandy1313

vandy1313 New Member

Havent posted in awhile, but have a question. Im getting better at recognizing triggers and calming myself down by thinking about the emotion im feeling. However, i still cant seem to get over the hump. Not sure if its bc i still need to locate the "root cause" or repressed emotion?? Or is it bc i have fear to walk w/out caution bc randomly my leg and back will spasm which likely will cause me to fall unless i catch myself. Either way, the spasms are painful.

Many times i try to think of whats going on that stresses me out, but i have difficulty finding out what it actually is. There is the financial piece thats a current stressor, so anytime i feel it come on,i remind myself that money will keep coming in to provide for me and my family. Will this linger until i am financially sound? Im trying to break that cycle that leads to the pain, but it continuous to happen. Also, when i wake up i have pain...in different areas so i know its TMS, but how can i tell what emotion is repressed or whats stressing me out? I mean, i just woke up....how can i tell what triggered it if i just woke up??

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Fear of falling is common to everyone with TMS in the legs. While you work on discovering the repressed emotions
    causing your symptoms, have you tried walking with a cane to steady yourself? Don't feel defeated if you use a cane.
    They've been around for centuries to help us. A step up from a cane is a walker, and that, too is not to be considered a setback or
    defeat, but an aid.

Financial worries can cause TMS and Dr. Sarno says they're one of the main causes. Try to be positive and tell yourself you
    survived this long, you will keep surviving.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Vandy, someone was at my door so I had to post that before finishing my thoughts.
    It's not always easy to discover what is stressing us out, especially if we look for triggers when we first wake up.
    It's more important to just keep journaling about whatever troubles us, past, present, or future.
    Make a list and do some thinking about them. But don't spend more than half an hour or at most an hour
    journaling or thinking about repressed emotions or it can become depressing. Try to think happy and how
    grateful you are for the good things in your life. And don't forget how good it can make us feel if we LAUGH.

4. vandy1313

vandy1313 New Member

As always, thank you so much for your advice Walt! Not sure Im ready for a cane at age 42, but some days I feel like Im 102!! I just watched the kickstarter video. I really hope it gets the funding needed to greenlight the project.