1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Long time TMS follower - Need support/Advice

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by CMA, Feb 6, 2020.

1. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

Hello friends: Looking for help/advice. I am TMS follower since I discovered it 8 years ago and self treated myself from many ailments primarily plantar fascitis. Went from not being able to walk to walking 5-6 miles daily. I woke up this morning with foot pain and swelling on the top of the foot. I have been trying to walk in flip flops around the house more than usual given the winter weather. So ofcourse I had an anxiety attack thinking of my plantar fascitis years prior to discovering TMS. I have self treated my plantar fascitis, piriformis, tennis elbow, sinusitis, and several other ailments.

Re: my left foot swelling and pain. I plan to rest it a couple of days and ice it to get the swelling down. Then by Monday after resting if the swelling is gone and pain still there. I will ignore it. What do you think? Any suggestions? Thanks much

2. Benjiro

Benjiro Peer Supporter

When you panic, you are feeding the pain by diverting attention from the true cause of the flare-up. And worsening your emotional state to boot. When you relax as you are now (ignoring it, in a sense), you send the opposite message. Relaxing only can improve if not eradicate symptoms. If they persist, then you may have to some digging and make changes to your environment/lifestyle.

As long as there is a surplus of negative emotion on an unconscious level, there will always be a physical symptom somewhere—even if you are aware of its psychogenic origins.

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

We don't get TMS from nowhere. Something necessitated a symptom, OR a lot of little things have necessitated a symptom. When my foot hurt out of nowhere a few months back I 'traced my steps' (pun intended) and thought back..

"when did this first occupy my attention? What was going on or happened?" Think, think, scribble, scribble....."AHA! I had to talk to my sister who I can never tell the truth to, about a situation regarding my Brother I WAS angry about , but didn't feel like dealing with...or talking to HER about because of resentments going back to Veruca's childhood and mine"

...and to make it worse, my son and I had been talking about our favorite baseball players foot injury THE DAY I NOTICED THE PAIN! As soon as I recalled this, I studiously thought about that shrew and what a nightmare she is every time I noticed the pain...which was gone the next morning, after bugging for a few days. I suspected it was TMS but paying attention to the details helps evict it.

TMS always has a purpose...always thinks it's helping.... why would you need a good distraction right now???

4. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Could be TMS, but also could be a stress fracture. I had one in the 80s from high impact aerobics. Got well on its own but I did have to rest it. Took about 6 weeks. Maybe just go for an xray if it doesn’t seem to get better in a few days. Better to find out early if that’s what it is. If everything looks ok on xray, I’d say treat as TMS. Good luck.