1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Loneliness = TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Davideus85, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Davideus85

Davideus85 Peer Supporter

I’ve been more successful lately at becoming indifferent to my TMS symptoms and anxiety, and I’ve noticed lately they’ve been shifting a lot as a response. Today I felt a major reduction in my pain, especially as I was doing some emotional work. But as I’ve been doing the emotional work, I’ve began really extremely lonely, a feeling that tends to stick around when it shows up. Now I’m a bit confused, because I’m not sure if processing my feelings have lead me to realize how lonely I really am, or if the loneliness is just another form of TMS. Maybe I’m making this more complicated than it needs to be. Any idea?

Balsa11 likes this.
  2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Just address your loneliness and socialize a bit. Don't overthink it. Sometimes we avoid things we've struggled with in the past, but take the chance to rewrite your story.

3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Your emotional work led you to realization that you have less social connections than you believe is necessary for your well-being, that's why you feel lonely. Feeling lonely is subjective, for people who are more outgoing the need for social connections is greater, for introverts it may be minimal. Not all of us are born with great social skills and know how to establish those connections. It may have been the source of your TMS all along, and your emotional work brought it to the forefront. There are two ways to address this imbalance: one to increase your social interactions and another one is to find a replacement to the direct social interactions with humans. Some people get a dog or a cat and it is good enough. Others try to figure out how to make more friends. You mentioned that you have ASD, that alone can be a big impediment to establishing a deep social network. Working with the therapist who specializes in ASD may be a solution for you.

Balsa11 likes this.
  4. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

I second this, please don't hesisitate to get adult ASD-specific therapy as needed