1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Local fat storage/double chin

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eline, May 31, 2016.

1. eline

eline Peer Supporter

Hi there!

I have applied the TMS-theory to many various "injuries" and recovered from almost all of them. I am really happy with that, feels like it saved my life. Examples from injuries I recovered from: RSI, back pain, shoulder pain, hay fever, knee pain, plantar fasciities, etc. So definitely a TMS-person and the theorie definitely works. Now I'm wondering what more could be TMS. Hence my next question.

I exercise quite a lot and eat pretty healthy. I have a pretty athletic figure, although my waist could be a little bit more thight. Despite of that, I have a pretty bad/big double chin. I have the idea that this has gone much worse lately, although I don't think I have gained much extra weight. I don't really want to lose weight since I am happy with my figure and I don't like to look much thinner than I am now, but I really really hate the double chin. Every time I look in the mirror I focus on that and don't look at the rest. The look of my fat chin doesn't match the rest of my looks and I find it really ugly. I am wondering: could TMS have anything to do with this, hence with local fat storage? And could the fact that my double chin kind of obsesses me lately make it worse?

Thanks in advance!

2. Ftaghn!

Ftaghn! Peer Supporter

The fat storage thing seems really unlikely. That said, insecurities are part of the human experience, and they tend to affect perception accordingly. Skewed body perception seems to be a particular trait of many anxiety issues, as an extreme example. I would just try not to focus excessively on it. Rather, take the acceptance approach, and move on ("It's okay, my insecurities will pass" etc).

3. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I wouldn't say a double chin is TMS. However, it's known that stress, depression etc can influence ones body in very harmful and negative ways, whether in the form of a physical ailment, or impacting the immune system, digestive system etc. Which could, ultimately alter ones weight.

4. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

I don't think a double chin would be TMS, but fretting over it to the point where it severely impacts your well being and self-esteem and negatively disrupts your life... this can be TMS. I have self image problems which are very tms'y... including a chin thing, a hairline thing. The kind of fretting I do over neck pain is very similar to the kind of fretting I do over physical insecurities, and I guess the treatment protocol is similar. You don't have a chin problem, you have tms! Just replace MRI findings with mirror findings! ('Double chins are the gray hairs of the chin!' Get it? Jeeze, I've been at this too long and now I'm making Sarno themed inside jokes. Anyways, the point is, we all have stuff like this). (the DSM for this is Body Dysmorphic Disorder... but may be best to not even bother looking it up b/c it's a TMS equivalent so you know the drill and any other 'diagnosis' is a distraction)