1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

List of ideas to help people see it's TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by lowella, Dec 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lowella

lowella Peer Supporter

So I'm trying to compile a list, I'm not very far with it but am meeting with a friend tonight to "convert" her and want to go through the basics so she will believe. I can do it by chatting but don't want to forget any tips (there really can be a lot of detail, like all that I just read in SteveO's book!)
    -(first go through brain science stuff, all pain starts in brain, different parts of brain etc)
    - personality type
    - history of events
    - lack of proof on diagnostics such as x-rays
    - onset timing
    - effects of exercise
    - family factors
    - roaming pains
    - note that pretty much everyone has some form of TMS whether it's chronic or not, and it has nothing to do with mental health.
    -recommend Sarno & Steve books, journaling, etc

There's a quick one off the top of my head, I know there are a lot more. I feel that a sheet full of these discussion points would be very helpful. Does anyone have anything like that or could you point me to something online? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi lowella,

This is a pretty good list. I hope that you were successful in helping your friend. As a practitioner I go through the "evidence" that what she has is TMS (basically your list), open to the fact she may not have TMS. It may be helpful to take this stance: offer to go through her history and symptoms and see to what degree they match your understanding. Taking an investigative approach can be a good way for both you and her, if she's open to taking time to "find out."

Andy B

lowella likes this.
  3. lowella

lowella Peer Supporter

Thank you Andy for the encouragement. Great pointers, much appreciated. She was very open to it and realized the connection with her personality and history. I'm thrilled!!

Lizzy likes this.