1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 8 Linking emotions to my pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by UkAdR, Mar 12, 2014.

1. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Hi all,

Day 8 response below. It links to my difficulties still in trying to reconcile the link between emotional stress and my pain, but i do think that some signs are beginnning to appear...

------
    Are you having success at recognizing the emotions connected to your pain? If you have, how do these emotions make you feel? If not, what do you think is preventing you from doing this?

I haven’t had too much success linking my emotions with my pain as such yet. But there have been signs from the past.
    The most recent was that when we were due to go on the zombie experience, my back pain got so so much worse despite getting progressively better that week. It completely ruined the day, but fr the past few months all i had been thinking was 'would be back hold up and be ok on the day?' Surely that is a sign that it is linked to my worry? Or the fact that it gets worse over the weekend, or definitely over holidays. How can it get worse when there is less stress on me. There is more time to worry about the pain and how it could limit me in the future that’s why.
    I think what is preventing me from linking emotions too much though is that I still think on a day to day basis that emotionally I’m fine. I am not really a worrier day to day, apart from about my pain. But what came first? The worry or the pain? The pain must have come first but then the pain has been compounded by the constant worrying about it.
    Still thinking back I can’t really link stressful times with the pain other times. I guess when it first started 7 years ago now it was 4 months into my first job teaching. I was desperate to do well and very stressed about succeeding. Could that be what kicked the pain off in the first place? Not the leaning over student’s computers as I have always thought?
    All I know is that this pain is definitely linked to worry, which is one of my emotions. What kind of worries are in my subconscious that I don’t really know about? Hopefully continuing to think like this is going to eventually convince my brain that it no longer has to hide these worries from me. I know what it is doing and it has made one mistake too many now. It can’t hide behind this pain and I am going to do my best to prove that.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

The fear thought you had about your experience when you wondered would your back hold up was what brought the pain on you ok. If you focus on what ifs then your body has a way giving you those fears so don't worry in that way anymore ok. It's counter productive. What you focus on or fear will come upon you and this is truth -- not just tales ya know. Its actually science.

When you are desperate and stressed you will form pain from those emotions so now you know what emotions give you pain ok. It would be good for you to think about these emotions and why are you having them. Then don't fear or judge the emotion just let it be and soon it will sub-side.

If you know worry is linked to your pain then you just revealed your first repression. Your worry that you know about will cause pain too just as much as the un-conscious ones, you need know this so you can meditate and calm down your over-sensitized nerves ok.

Hit me back and let me know what you think ok.
    Bless you