1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Lingual Nerve Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by MMB, Feb 9, 2017.

1. MMB

MMB New Member

Hello, I was wondering if my symptoms were structural or not. I HAD/have a lingual nerve injury from a third molar extraction 5 years ago, the ordeal was a nightmare, caused PTSD too. An oral surgeon said I had a neuroma on the nerve.

It greatly improved over a few years, the burning, shooting pain, numbness, etc. now I just have some tingling on my tongue occasionally.

It psychologically bothers me very much and I get (more) anxious when it happens, it reminds me of the worst time of my life.

It comes and goes now, usually when I'm anxious, stressed or not feeling well. I'm thinking that it is TMS since I go weeks with no tingling.

I want to get a dental implant in that area, I tested it and put a little pressure on that area where the implant would go, I got that tingling...then anxiety, the tingling stayed for a couple of weeks too.

I don't want to get a very expensive implant if it will irritate it and cause permanent tingling only to have it expensively removed which may not stop the tingling (after being drilled). How can I know if It is my nerve, or my brain, TMS, causing it

The Dr. said all we can do is try and see. I really need that implant, but it's a huge gamble. Structural or TMS? I appreciate any input.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017