1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Life can be challenging sometimes...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Anne Walker, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Birdie

Birdie Peer Supporter

Hi Anne,
    hope your hubby is well. I don't want to say that it's a psychosomatic condition because the serious things really have to be ruled out. But I remember that I had a very similiar symptom during a high-stress-period (which finally was the onset-trigger for most of my TMS symptoms 5 years ago). Over a period of several months I often said the exact opposite of what I meant, sometimes without even recognizing it! Especially in social situations this caused some very embarassing moments.
    So I did not had to "search" for the right word, it just left my mouth...like "I really hate sunshine" instead of "I really love sunshine". This symptoms vanished when the stress period was over.

Mala likes this.
  2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Birdie. Its good to know this kind of Asphasia can be stress induced. He also has trouble getting sentences started and he says he is slurring but I haven't noticed that as much. He is just hesitant in his speech and might say something like "my phone is running out of electricity" when he means to say the battery needs recharging. And then he's stop and say "why did I say my phone is running out of electricity when I meant to say..." He does drink beer on a daily basis and I am wondering if alcohol could be causing some loss in brain function. He has very bad eyesight and the hospital neurologist said he has some double vision and right sided weakness. So we'll see what our primary care physician says today. I am feeling an enormous amount of pressure with our work. Just need to figure out how to care for myself in the midst of all this chaos and responsibility.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Anne my friend, I would love to get together for coffee. We can set up a time that is good for both of us ok :).....

Anne I didn't think about it till Ellen, Colly and Birdie mentioned it but I remember my last months trying to keep my business going, we we're so busy and multi tasking was a must with a capital T. I was doing everything from sales to complaints to the heavy manual labor to the staff training and it really got to me at the end. This was a time that I was just so overwhelmed with all the work we had and I was the only one that knew how to run it all and the customers always want to speak to the boss right.
    I was literally about to have a traumatic break down and knew it cause I had had two previous breakdowns before. ( Remember I didn't know anything of tms healing at this time ok ) Now I'm not saying your husband is doing the same thing, I just want to tell you my story and if it correlates then the story might be beneficial for you ok.

See I really wanted to trust that others could help me run this business, right and I shelled out a lot of time and money for training them and believing in them but after a year and all the people I trained had went their own way when the real work came in and all the easy money was shelled out, then I was right back to the starting point needing someone that was trustworthy so I could be relieved from working litterally 21 hours a day for a long time, after all of this I started to slur in my speech. I couldn't think clearly or make sense of what my fiance was trying to say to me and she could not understand me, my face got hard like puffy blown hard. It was like I tried so hard that my mind was just shutting down and my motor skills were going with it too.
    I had to eventually take 6 weeks off and do nothing at all. I cried and was so emotional and I wondered what had happened to me. My Dr. said I had trauma but if there is such a thing as nervous breakdown I believe I had one for sure cause in the past when a friend of mine was hurt on the job. It literally sent me into shock, he was my friend and there was nothing I could do. I went weak and fatigued, barely able to talk or walk for almost three weeks then. The other time was when my mom passed but I'll leave that be.
    It was the rest and getting my mind on nothing but living with no stress that brought me back after all of the turmoil, the thing was after I went back to work I couldn't work near as much as I did before or I would start to get those same symptoms so I had to have a cut off time, no more bringing the work home sort of say, after 8 hours that was it.

I have never told this story but it is well worth it if it helps you and your husband in any way. I don't want you to get worried ok, just be patient and get him to do the same, have time each day that you cut the work completely off, you do need someone you can trust though and that is a dilemma but it can be done, I will believe with you for all of this to turn out for your best, this will be just a stepping stone so you can know the best for your husbands health and yours too ok.
    Bless you my friend, stay strong and see it all working out in your heart, it will.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Ellen and Colly like this.
  4. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Herbie, that is an excellent story and it all makes sense. I have been thinking a lot and my husband is very hard working and devoted, but he really likes to focus on one thing at a time. So I am backing off and allowing him to work at his own pace with whatever feels right. It is hard because there are so many details and so much to do in building and maintaining this business. But we have to find a way to balance and take care of ourselves or it is no good. I have a lot of responsibilities with my kids, my mother and now my husband somewhat, but that will not last forever. I need to trust I will find my way and take the moments I need. Thanks for sharing your story. It puts everything in perspective. I look forward to meeting you soon.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Leslie735

Leslie735 Well known member

So glad to hear he is doing better!