1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Letting Go, In different ways

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I used to wonder how to let emotions go, an emotion is tied to a memory, ah hah, so -- if I can take that feeling or emotion and attach it to the memory or imaginations attached to that thought then I can reframe that memory, right?
    By looking at the memory in a different way or a different angle I can change the emotion I have been feeling that I believe or have been thinking has been out of my control thus changing the way I have feelings to this memory in affect letting the emotion change and thus go so I can begin to heal.
    In ISTDP it's done by simply feeling the emotion, and eventually after expressing your emotions verbally you will start becoming at peace with it through acceptance and time.
    In faster eft its done by remembering the memory and changing the way you attach your reactions to the memory while tapping and looking at that memory from different view points.
    In mindfulness it's staying in the now and realizing your emotion or emotions to a memory and feeling that emotion and deciding to let the past be in the past and using acceptance to stay in the now and be at peace with the past while using a form of feeling, releasing, peace, and just accepting in awareness.
    In focusing you scan your body for feelings then attach an emotional name to that feeling, set with it, feel it and become aware that your emotions will not harm you all awhile you grow stronger through feeling your emotions.
    All these different strategies have a comman denominator, feeling your feelings, changing your perception to those feelings, acceptance, and letting go.
    Why did I write the first entry above. Because if you can remember what made you feel that emotion to start with, it's often very useful to change the way you programmed yourself to start with so you can have an easier time learning how to let go of toxic emotions thus creating a more efficient way to create new neural pathways to heal.
    I love and appreciate the CBT approach or exposure therapy but whatever shortcuts you can take to make the journey more adaptable has always been a plus in my mind.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting this Herbie, it's nice to see an overview of the different modalities.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you Mike2014, most modalities techniques and strategies can be explained in simple form. It doesn't have to take a text book to understand them after you become familiar with them. At first I read and studied volumes on many many modalities and soon I learned the power in their simplistic forms.
    I wrote the above post for the reason that we usually do have memories tied to our emotions that create our feelings including pain. Change the way you look at the memory and you will change the emotion attached to that memory thus changing the feelings you have from that emotion.

mike2014 likes this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Herbie, it's nice to see it broken down like that. You have an outstanding amount of knowledge and wisdom. I'm surprised you didn't move into TMS coaching - you would make an amazing one.

I love this quote:

"Your beliefs become your thoughts,
    Your thoughts become your words,
    Your words become your actions,
    Your actions become your habits,
    Your habits become your values,
    Your values become your destiny"

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. Dexy

Dexy Peer Supporter

Thanks for this!~

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Herbie, your replies are great, as always. Our memories can make us happy and healthy or angry and in pain. It's how we deal with our memories and the emotions related to them. I agree with Mike, that you would make a great TMS coach. You are already, but maybe offer your services beyond the wiki.

7. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Yes, what Walt said...you have certainly been an inspiration to me. I have always felt so encouraged by your posts.