1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Let's do this

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by HPJM, Aug 4, 2015.

1. HPJM

HPJM New Member

I'm Hugo, a 22 year old British guy.

I was gym crazy for a while, then I had a setback in the gym. A shoulder injury. After seeing 4 physical therapists, having ultrasound and an MRI, and seeing two orthopaedic surgeons, nothing was shown to be damaged. Yeah, there was a possible diagnosis, but it was tenuous. But I spent hours reading about possible problems.

I almost wanted something to be wrong with my shoulder to justify the aching, and I became scared of anything that could 'damage' it. And because I loved staying active and going to the gym, I guess this is a great distraction for my mind, not just the pain, but the fear as well.

Then my hip started hurting, similarly after a gym incident (programmed reaction, it seems). My elbows, knees, back, have all hurt at various points.

I have read Sarno's 'Mindbody Prescription' 3-4 times and have made notes on it etc, since discovering it by accident 1-2 months ago. I find it fascinating and understand it pretty well, so I have completed accepted the premises and the conclusions intellectually. But on a gut level I still have doubts.

My doubts and worries are mostly along the lines of 'what if I don't get better?', or 'what if I am the exception with a physical problem?'. Given the many hours I spent researching what could be wrong with my body, and buying into most structural explanation for pain, this is unsurprising. I have learnt from Sarno, but now I have to unlearn the previous stuff I've been taught. However, the pain in my elbows, knees and hips have basically gone, and I am back in the gym regardless.

But I'm looking forward to the structure of this program. Thank you so much to whoever helped make this program. The TMS wiki is incredibly helpful as well.

2. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi HPJM,

Congratulations on the steps you are taking to recover! We can all relate to your doubts and worries - most of us have them. I basically see these as different types of fear. I found it very helpful to use techniques provided by Dr. Schubiner to decrease and almost eliminate my fears. You can read his techniques in his blog # 23. Here is a link:

http://www.unlearnyourpain.com/blog/mbs-blog-23-understanding-and-overcoming-fear/

Best wishes! Sunny

3. HPJM

HPJM New Member

Thanks Sunny, just read it. Very helpful.

4. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Oh, great, HPJM! I'm so glad it helped. Now that you've found it, there is one other thing I've done to reinforce these techniques. I basically re-wrote the fear techniques using "I" - i.e. change something like "tell your unconscious mind that you will not be intimidated" to "I will not be intimidated." I wrote a whole list based on Dr. S's techniques using "I." I re-read it several times a week so it can really sink into my unconscious. I am getting some really good results with this technique, so wanted to share. Please let me know how it goes! Sunny

HPJM likes this.