1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Lebron James, TMS ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Anyone remember this years NBA playoffs? Since I live here in Texas I couldn't go a day without hearing about the San Antonio Spurs and how The Miami Heat were going to be a tough team for them to beat. I guess we all know how that turned out with The Heat losing 4 games to 1.
    My thoughts have stayed on what happened to Lebron James in Game 1 though, "the Leg Cramp". When he had it, all I could think was this is tms. He has so much pressure on him to win this game and be the perfect player, there had to come a time when Lebron James would show some kind of tms. Now I'm not saying James has full blown tms but I am saying times like the NBA playoffs and tons of the pressure that this event would produce could be tms producing for sure.
    I remember looking at him and his face was just in so much defeat, like all he wanted was to crawl somewhere and hide, like is this really happening now and yep it was.
    I have watched Lebron play for a few years now and I never remember him getting leg cramps. I'm sure he has before but this is the playoffs man, you're supposed to be ready for things like that, Right?
    To get to my point I was looking over Dr. Sarnos Book today, "The Mindbody Prescription" and on p. 102 there is an interesting read about pulled hamstrings and athletes, how the hamstring pull happens in a high pressured event and then how they seemingly get better rather quickly by the time the next game comes around. Now I know they didn't say he had a pulled hamstring but he did have a muscle cramp in his leg that prevented him from playing ok. Now let me tie this together.
    I had leg cramps for around twenty years, I have always worked with a lot of pressure on me, not to the extent of lebron james tension but I have always had that perfectionist tension ya know and that tension is pretty tight. I would often get cramps in the back of my legs in the middle of the night after a long day at work, I feared these cramps, I just knew one day one of them was going to kill me cause the pain was so awful I'd barely be able to breath. After I learned it was tms from reading Sarnos books I quickly stopped fearing and focusing on the cramps and as if by magic they just disappeared.
    Now you might say now Eric, the Air conditioning was out that night and it was very hot there. Well my job always consisted of working in temperatures above 150 degrees on a regular basis, that's roofing in the summertime ya know. I remember one time we set a thermometer on top of the roof we were working on and it busted the thermometer within 10 minutes, now that's hot. So I know about the heat and I know about leg cramps and I know about being pressured and thinking I have to do things perfect and never lose and I know tms causes cramps so my question to the sports fans or anyone really is do you think with the high profile status that lebron james has and all the pressure he had on him to win game 1. Do you think if for just that game, he could have developed some tms? I believe he did, all indicators pointed to it, what you think?

2. jazzhands

jazzhands Peer Supporter

I was thinking about this a while back. Namely w/ Dwight Howard. For those not aware, he is the best player at his position in the NBA. He played in Orlando for about a decade, then demanded a trade when he was becoming a free agent. This resulted in a very messy situation, he caught lots of flak for demanding a trade etc. Near the end of the season he was diagnosed with a herniated disc and had back surgery. He opted into the last year of his contract and was traded to the Lakers. Again, very stressful situation, they were expected to be a championship contender and did very poorly throughout the season. During the season he complained of numbness in his legs, things like that. After that season ended he signed with the Rockets, a lot of his new teammates were personal friends, he liked the coach, liked the city ETC. No more complaints of pain and numbness.

Of course if you follow basketball at all you'll know the Rockets didn't win the championship, and the pressure is ramping up again. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Pro athletes are of course under a major amount of pressure at all times. While I can't diagnose anybody from my computer chair, I see a lot of players miss time for injuries that set off my TMS alarm. "Back spasms" is one of the ones that seems to crop up a lot.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.