1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Learning how to work with Emotions

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I want to write a little on how emotions seem to be elusive. Like anxiety will seem impossible to pin point the roots till you learn that anxiety is fear. Then you can imagine what it is you fear and eliminate the fear. Or like the word Depression, when its depression it seems impossible to do anything with it, along with the sense of helplessness. But if you learn that depression is just the emotion of sadness thought about over and over again -- once you understand it's sadness then we can ask why are you sad and work on eliminating the sadness. See, we can ask what are you fearing and why and we have something you can work with to rid your anxiety. The same for depression.

See the significance.

Thanks, Bless You

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    tigerlilly, LindaRK and Msunn like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

More good subjects for a video chat. Depression, anxiety, and fear.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Msunn like this.
  3. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

This is good stuff, Eric. I think one of the challenges for us newbies who have always "analyzed our feelings" but haven't actually known how (but are learning!) to "feel our emotions" is trying to differentiate that which is an emotion vs. a word that describes that emotion. It would be great to have a more extensive list of these to work off of. You've hit my main hot buttons, and I appreciate your post.

Anxiety = Fear
    Depression = Sadness
    Guilt = Shame???

I think having these definitions or equivalents helps to tap into the actual emotion and allow ourselves to feel it.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I think you hit on something important, tigerlily, having a list of the emotions and a word that describes them.
    I bet Eric can come up with a good list.

I can add:
    Separation anxiety = Feeling alone and unwanted

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

tigerlilly you have a wonderful question. I will have to look further and let you know at a later time. I really don't know if a list like that exist. I will look though and within the week see what I can come up with ok. Thanks for your interest.
    God Bless