1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Learning and TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I came across this quote the other day and thought it relates so well to TMS. For anyone to recover from TMS you need to overcome two main patterns of thought that our society drills into us.

The first is that chronic pain is caused by structural abnormalities. We continue to think that if we have pain, there has to be a clear physical causation of it. Of course this only keeps us thinking physical.To recover you must forget everything that modern medicine has told you about your symptoms and about what not to do. Only then will you know the true cause of your symptoms.

The other thought pattern is that having powerful emotions is wrong and unacceptable. From our childhood, we have developed patterns of repression and have learned to react to stressful situations by repressing. Again, in order to recover you must forget the behavior of repression to truly know what the underlying causes of your symptoms are.

Shanshu Vampyr likes this.
  2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Yes, Forest. Interesting saying.

So sad we've been conditioned to think this way (paragraphs 2 and 3 above). I hear it in how people around me talk "I must have slept wrong" or "this must be from when I was an accident 10 years ago." Not likely! The body heals!

Fortunately we can change this thinking and open up a whole new world for ourselves!

3. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

I agree Lori and Forest. This week I went to University of Penn Pain Center to see a
    Psychiatrist who specializes pain theraphy, hoping to dig deep into anger and I got yet another diagnosis. Which of course I wasn't looking for.

He does however, believe my body can heal and I've been pretty upbeat as I am struggling a little with the whole TMS thing and nerve pain. Even the fibro healers talk about muscle pain, not nerve pain. I guess I am getting to the point where I am thinking pain is pain is pain....

I don't feel I have a solid hold on TMS "yet" but I've been able to talk the pain away. This is real progress.