1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Knee pain

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Dfrancks, Sep 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dfrancks

Dfrancks Newcomer

After 3 excruciating months of knee/leg pain that has changed drastically day to day, I am so ready for change. My X-rays, MRI's, and examinations are all spotless and cortisone shots didn't provide relief. I'm only seventeen and feel crippled by my pain. I know this can't be permanent since I didn't have a major trauma at all. This must be psychological. Every day I need to reinforce that thought to keep the pain out of my thoughts. It has consumed my every waking moment for three months already! I also deal with anxiety and depression (caused by the knee pain) but I believe it could all be TMS to distract me from my perfectionism and fear of the college application process and big life transitions.
    Overall, TMS makes sense but it will be tough to keep that faith when the pain feels like my legs have stopped functioning correctly.

aces0730, JanAtheCPA and SunnyinFL like this.
  2. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Dfrancks,

Congratulations on starting the SEP! I am so impressed with the level of self-awareness you have at your age - I wish I was that self-aware at 17. And, starting the SEP is a great step forward that will improve your symptoms and your life. You are absolutely right that it is important to reinforce that your pain is psychological. Many of us were or are perfectionists, so you are in good company. But, try to start giving yourself some breaks and to be gentler with yourself. The college application process can be very stressful - so maybe also try to reinforce to yourself that "I will be ok; everything will be ok." And, it will! Going through the big transitions is a developmental stage we've all gone through, and you'll get through it, too. Please keep reaching out for support anytime you want some external reinforcement, and good luck! Sunny

aces0730 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Dfranks. I think you are doing great starting the SEP. It takes a while, but your knee pain will go away, and maybe even faster than you think.

Starting college can create anxiety but I suggest you look at it positively. It is going to be some of the best years of your life. You will meet new friends, learn a lot of new things, and learn more about yourself. It is a wonderful adventure. Join a club and meet even more nice people and engage in projects that are meaningful to you. I worked on my college newspaper and loved it. I made great friends I still have, many years later.

Sunny is right... don't put pressure on yourself. "Go with the flow." Live in the present moment and enjoy yourself each day. Practice deep breathing and you will find it profoundly relaxing. Laugh as much and often as you can. If you can't laugh, just smiling helps lift our spirits, and others too.

And you have the TMS community to help you, too.

aces0730 and SunnyinFL like this.