1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Knee pain after tripping- overreacting?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by hoolie, Nov 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Hi supporters!
    I don’t know how much background to give, except that one of these days I’ll post some success stories on here. I’ve seen TMS do some crazy things in my life, and it never ceases to amaze me. Just this week, i had an MRI to rule out some crazy neuro symptoms I had been having for months. MRI is fine, and once again I am relieved, and amazed.

So here’s my current dilemma, without even a break between. The other day (5 days ago) I lost my balance while reaching for something in a tight space in the garage and landed with my knee on the lawn mower. It didn’t hurt then really, other than a bump. Since then, my knee has been sore and tender, but I’m able to walk all over the place with some low level soreness. My brain is going nuts. Replaying the scene. Did I twist my knee? Beating myself up for rushing around and not being more careful. Obsessing. “Did I tear a meniscus? My ACL? I really did it this time. Just when i think I’m in the clear, this happens! Looks like I won’t be running for awhile! Probably surgery”
    Familiar anyone?
    So I’m stuck in that place i hate. Knowing -KNOWING - the power of the mind to both create convincing symptoms AND convincing arguments. I could have had a little inflammation from the fall that my brain ran away with. But the “Yeah but...” thoughts are so. Strong.
    I’m also a PT. So I know too many things about anatomy ;)
    Thoughts anyone? I need a little help. My husband ROLLS HIS EYES at this now- and jokes that I’m not allowed to go to any more doctors. He’s being supportive, not a jerk, by being a voice of reason when my anxieties spike.
    Thank you!

2. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

I’m rolling my eyes with your husband. As a pt, you should know it’s normal to not feel pain immediately after getting a bump that causes a big bruise but a bruise, as painful as it is, is nothing to worry about. As you also would know, if you can walk all over the place then you haven’t torn or broken anything. I have done so in the past and know you wouldn’t be walking. My husband got a hematoma on his calf the size of a tennis ball last summer but it was perfectly safe.
    I’ll tell you what the ortho doctor would tell you; at this point do nothing and it will get better.

hoolie likes this.
  3. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Take it from another PT, just rest, take it easy and it will improve! Remember how much force it takes to truly tear your ACL or meniscus...also you'd have much more pain and swelling and such with a bad structural injury, you wouldn't be walking on it so easily. Hope you're feeling better soon.

hoolie likes this.
  4. hoolie

hoolie Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for the reply.
    I find that when I’m stressed and overwhelmed, it’s harder to speak logically and calmly to myself. I hate reaching for help outside myself but- sometimes I need it. Thank you!