1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Just won a TMS battle for another to start up

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Pingman, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

Hello all - Been dealing with another TMS issue since March 2016 with ball of foot pain that came about after lung surgery for Pneumonia. After losing some weight due to some high blood sugar numbers and exercising I am able to experience periods with no ball pain at all. Sometimes for a week before it pops up again.

That is about the 4th time I have beat TMS. It took awhile this time since I couldnt get away from it...it hurt every step but I mentally plowed through.

Now I am having another issue... I noticed a red rash around my ankles up toward my calf that would get worse when I exercise. Some parts look like a brownish bruise. Went to my Dr. and he said it could be some varicosis. I am a 39 year old male so I had to good which sent me into a small anxiety fit. I saw things like Chronic Venous Insufficiency which shows people with dark legs with sores. Of course that make me worry that it could be me some day.

Then we went to Florida for a week and my ankles swelled up from the heat which is also a sympton of vein issues.

I know I have a part of my TMS that is health anxiety and have made pains come up in the past from worrying. I wonder if maybe the tension is blocking off my blood supply in my legs. My Dr. sure didn't seem to care at all.

I want to catch it if I have a real vascular issue...dont want brusied legs with varicose veins as a 40 year old dad. But I question if my mind isn't doing all of it.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I hope you treat it as a possible medical issue, until you have some real doubts about it. Not sure of the "medical" treatment, but if it isn't serious, then maybe you can relax about whatever the cause is...

3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds like your being vain about your veins.;) The key take-away here is that your doc said "...it could be..."--when docs are confronted with TMS they come up with a possible structural dx. The other take-away is that your doc "...didn't seem to care at all." In this day of defensive medicine--patients are given every test in the book to cover doc's butts in case of a malpractice suit--and if your doc isn't worried, you probably shouldn't be either. From my understanding, as a tennis player, varicose veins are seldom serious, usually just of cosmetic concerns. There are billboards in Palm Springs for medical practices that specialize in cosmetic surgery for varicose veins. Next time you're in your doc's office check out where his sheepskin came from, if it's some place like Granada, maybe get a second opinion from a doc that trained stateside. Inflammation, skin disorders--almost anything can have TMS/psychosomatic origins. Go back to your doc if you are concerned and ask him why he's not concerned--or see another doc for a second opinion. So that's my twenty-two cents, bare in mind that I'm a tennis player and NOT a physician, but I have plans to sleep at Holiday Inn Expresses this summer. I can help you with your serve, volley, back-hand or forehand--but have no experience with veiny things except for the cat-gut strings in my sticks. If you can see a TMS savvy physician for an objective dx.