1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Just starting the journey, questions.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Ducman, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Ducman

Ducman New Member

Hurt my lower back 23 years ago with a twisting stretching activity. Took weeks before I could even walk and been having problems ever since. In the last 5 years the pain and incidence of rehurting my back has increased. Also neck pain (trigger points at base of skull), and acid reflux and IBS symptoms have increased over the last year. Also anxiety increasing with panic attacks. MRI shows usual abnormalities for a 65 year old, but nothing that has even got the attention of any doctor. Have tried every therapy imaginable and I get a little relief sometimes only to bend over wrong and back to square one. It feels like my life has closed in around me. I have that good, perfect, personality and have am a high achiever with advanced degrees in engineering. Severe trauma as an 18 year old, both parents died 6 months apart. Other emotional trauma later on.

When I read Dr. Sarno’s books, it was like he wrote the book for me personally, especially the part where the symptoms flare up alternately, just to keep you on the verge of crazy! I have no problem accepting the concept of his theory and have already started journaling. Already getting in touch with some raw emotions from my past. Back pain is better as I am able to walk the dog everyday now.

Since I have avoided my back muscles for so long, is it a good idea to begin excersizing now or should I wait until the pain reduces more? It’s only been a week since I started journaling.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Ducman,

Welcome to the Forum! Glad you have found us and are now on the road to recovery.

If you truly have TMS, then the pain you feel when exercising is not harmful. So the issue is how well you can tolerate the pain. If you haven't exercised in some time, it is always wise to start gradually and work your way up to something more challenging. Starting by walking the dog daily seems like a good a strategy. Maybe increase the distance or speed gradually. Then add something else that you enjoy doing. If pain comes up, just tell yourself that you have TMS and the pain isn't harmful, that you are fine.

There's lots of great, free resources on this site, so look around. Ask questions any time. Best wishes........

3. Ducman

Ducman New Member

Ok thanks. Another question, sometimes the journaling brings up strong emotions and at other times it seems I am just writing my story. When realizing a lack of emotion, does that mean it’s time to move on or should I keep digging until I find it?

4. birder

birder Well known member

Welcome, Ducman! Walking your dog is a great way to start - our dogs appreciate it so much! And it just feels good to be out there with your buddy. I was barely able to manage a block six weeks ago, but my pup kept me going, and now I'm out there every day building on that. Don't be discouraged by setbacks, as Ellen says. They happen - but have faith that you'll get through them and continue to get stronger, because you will.

5. David88

David88 Well known member

You're doing great. There's no logic to when feelings come up. You can't always find them by digging. Listen to your body. It will tell you what you need to do.