1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Just starting out with uncertainty and trepidation

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Bill17, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Bill17

Bill17 Newcomer

I took a TMS class several years ago. Recently, I attended two TMS meetings: one about TMS and one with testimonials from people who have significantly reduced their pain. I'm still not convinced that I have TMS. Or maybe not fully convinced I have TMS. I have had pain for a very long time--over thirty years. It varies in intensity and location. When it gets worse, I seek treatment. Occasionally, the treatment helps. Other times, the treatment leads to greater pain. Frequently, the pain gets worse during periods of stress. It's been over a year since this latest episode began. I hope that I can accept the TMS diagnosis and that my work to treat my TMS will be successful. Unfortunately, I have a hard time accepting things "on faith". I'm also afraid to commit to the work that I will need to do to overcome TMS. I don't usually look to others for support. I hope that I can stick to the Structured Education Program and that it works. Unfortunately, I'm not yet convinced.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Bill. I'm sorry about your pain but know you have come to the right place to heal. Apparently no major structural problem has been found over the years, so I would accept that your pain comes from your emotions. I am 86 and healed three years ago from severe back pain by discovering Dr. Sarno and his book, Healing Back Pain. I learned from the SEProgram that I had for years been repressing emotions about anger since my parents divorced when I was seven.

I encourage you to take the SEP and to believe in TMS 100 percent. You won't heal with anything less than total belief. The work involved in TMS healing should not be looked upon as work. It should be accepted as something good and positive. You will learn more about yourself and the emotional causes of your pain.

I found journaling in the SEP to be the most helpful in healing my pain.

You may need a strong dose of belief in the MindBody connection which is TMS. You will find videos on Youtube about this. Also read the success stories on this web site.

It also could help you if you read Steve Ozanich's book, The Great Pain Deception. He tells how learning about his repressed anger helped him to become cured of multiple pains. It can be a big help to you in increasing your belief and faith in TMS.

Ines likes this.
  3. Bill17

Bill17 Newcomer

Walt,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm on Day 3 of the SEP, so today I began my lists of Past Traumatic Events and Experiences, Current Events and Stressors, and Personality Traits. I am still having difficulty with the idea that I have to believe to be cured. I find the success stories to be as much discouraging as they are encouraging. How did you realize that it was your suppressed anger about your parents divorce that was causing the pain? Can you recommend some specific YouTube videos?

4. fbcoach

fbcoach Peer Supporter

Hey Bill,
    You sound like me. I have dealt with chronic pain since 92'. I was injured playing Football (broken neck) and required a 12 hur surgery. I healed pretty quick, but began having pain. I have literally tried and done everything. I noticed over the years, that although my pain was 24/7, I would have periods of time when it was easier to manage. This wouldn't happen if it wasn't psychologically induced. Anyway, I am not totally healed, but I am feeling much better since starting this program. I have learned a lot about MYSELF, and that is what is key here. Even though I stayed physically active, I still had fears of physical activity, meaning always believing that the harder I work out, the more pain and fatigue I would have to endure for days after. I am finding that is not true. I just expected it. The body (mind) is really amazing at adapting. One thing that helps me is sort of experimenting on myself. This creates confidence, confidence begets confidence, and this decreases fears. One step at a time. Good luck with recovery and remember, it's not the end destination, it's the journey that is the real cure.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Ines likes this.