1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Just Need to Get Through the Next Few Weeks

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Balsa11, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

Hi everyone,

I know that I need to be on top of my sleep schedule, affirmations, getting rid of TMS thinking bad habits, and healthy habits, etc, and that since TMS symptoms are random and don't always have predictable triggers, I shouldn't be looking for triggers to avoid, but I just want a better idea of how to reduce bad days/speed up recovery from extinction bursts and especially how to get through bad mornings when it takes longer than expected to get out of bed due to various reasons.

Basically my symptoms have been flaring up lately after a few tough conversations, going outside for a walk in the cold (I forgot to put lotion on my dry legs and they sometimes have this particular burn like feeling when exposed to cold dry air), and I did a kundalini yoga workout today that flared up sensations of numbness and chills. I get extremely cold and fatigued after eating breakfast in particular, but sometimes also after other meals. I've been trying to go to bed on time as well and still deal with these quick swelling/pressure sensations on my fingers/ribs/jaws/bones inside ear.

Since I had a lot of difficulty staying on track today with my studies due to the symptoms, how do I best get through the next few weeks and make the best use of my mornings and after mealtimes? I'm trying to squeeze in meditation and exercise when I have time, but I feel like my study sessions are mostly me crossing my fingers hoping I will stay focused and not go down a pain/fear spiral or sluggish brain fog.

Also, like a typical Gen Zer, I really need help staying off my phone for anything except work and occasional chats with friends. Still working on that one.

I'm really thankful to everyone on this forum and to my friends and family for helping me get through this. Thank you tough go-getters, ancient elders, young seekers, therapists, coaches, and everyone in between. It's been rough for all of us having to go through this during the pandemic and in rapidly changing times. Also, if anyone here is a student and wants to buddy up for the rest of the semester/quarter until finals, I'll be glad to help keep spirits going.

Thank you all so much for your time!

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Balsa11,

I don't know that anyone can give you specifics, except miffyBbunny and Baseball have given you great advice.

I think you're pressuring yourself to get better quick. I know it is hard to take confidence when you're worried about symptoms. This is the work though.

The process takes time, and what you're probably called to do at this point is develop mindfulness, as in a daily practice. This will help your patience, tolerance of conditions as they are moment-to-moment. Not sure if you do it or not, but 10 minutes a day of following your breath or something similar. Here is an article on it:
    https://www.unlearnyourpain.com/blog/mindfulness-meditation-pain/ (Mindfulness and the Mind Body syndrome – Chronic Pain Relief)

And there is a free guided practice here on the Forum:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/free-30-day-meditation-program.23237/ (Free 30-day meditation program)

Claire Weekes work will probably also be very helpful, because she helps build tolerance for difficult sensations, anxiety.

Also could recommend the Structured Education Program, and forget the rest. It might help to reduce your anxiety that you're not doing enough or doing it right.

Finally, it would be great if you could get a companion in this, and I think it is wonderful that you asked. You might make a separate post with something like that request in the title to get more response.

Andy

3. samuelp180

samuelp180 Peer Supporter

Hi! It sounds like you are very focused on your symptoms (we all are/were) but i only got better when i stopped focusing on them. What i sad that i did not care if i hurt or not i am still going to go out and do what i want to do and it is not going to effect me from having a good time. Sure, of course nobody WANTS to be in pain and discomfort or other symptoms, but i have found that when i dont care and dont focus on it, it lasts much shorter. Usually, when i freak out and focus on one my my flare ups- it lasts about a day or two. When i remain calm and dont care- it goes away within 1-12 hours. Wishing you the best.

Balsa11 likes this.