1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Just joined

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by rain, Jul 4, 2018.

1. rain

rain New Member

Hi there,

I just came across the TMS forum today. I have some experience with mind-body healing approach but haven't looked into TMS yet, until today.

I have been dealing with chronic hip/back/foot/neck pain for the past 18 months. I was in a car accident in 2003 and have had a range of symptoms since then. Over the course of these years, most of them were under control for the most part until I slipped on ice in December 2016, when I started having pain around my hips. I've tried a bunch of treatment modalities since then, including chiropractor, PT, massage, acupuncture, energy work, physiatrists, consultations with orthopedic surgeons etc. I know that I have an anteriorly tilted pelvis on the right side that contributes a lot towards my symptoms, and that got worse after December 2016.

In the 6 months so far this year, I've had almost 70 doctor visits. As you can imagine, I'm tired and drained. I feel out of options and hopeless. I'm tired of always looking for something that will help me heal. I find myself stuck in a pattern of daily/hourly monitoring my pain physically (I use spreadsheets with pain ratings) and mentally (am I doing ok now? how long will this last? will this ever heal? what can I do for myself to get better?).

I came across the TMS forum today morning and am intrigued with what I've read so far. I'm cautiously optimistic about it, knowing that getting your hope up only to not have something work is sometimes worse than not getting your hope up at all. But, I want to approach it with curiosity and respect. So far, it seems like I could either do the SEP or Alan's program? Which one would you recommend?

Any other ideas/tips that you might have for a TMS newbie (especially personal experiences of things to watch out for) are very appreciated. Thanks.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum, Rain!

You've come to the right place and we are glad to have you join us. You will find a wealth of information and support here for your healing journey. I suggest starting with the SEP as it's structured and gives you something to work on daily. Then if you like you can explore Alan's program. Keep reading about TMS too, as that helps. Just don't spend more than about an hour an day on TMS. Go out and live your life to the fullest and find as much joy as you can.

Let us know how you're doing and feel free to ask questions any time.

Best wishes

Gigi and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. rain

rain New Member

Thanks Ellen. Good point about not spending too much time on TMS. I was getting ready to start obsessing about not obsessing :)

Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Welcome, Rain!
    I agree with Ellen that the best place to start is the SEP. Of course, when I found it, I wanted to complete it in half the suggested timeā€”not a good idea! I quickly realized the error of that approach, but I was just so excited to find something that made sense to me.
    I have a subC that likes to prolong injuries. I treat the injury itself, but the hard call for me is determining when TMS is kicking in. I've learned to talk sternly to my subC and tell it to let me feel the anxiety or other feelings, and quit prolonging the pain.
    I've experienced such healing thanks to this program, and wish the same for you. This is a very supportive group!
    Blessings,
    Gigi

Ellen likes this.