1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Just found TMS wiki and very grateful

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by butterfly, Feb 25, 2014.

1. butterfly

butterfly New Member

Hello and thank you to everyone on this forum, reading your posts has been so helpful to me already. I’ve never joined a forum before, but feel moved to share my story (so far) and hope that it might help others.

It’s a long story, but the main thing is this: my migraines have already improved dramatically after discovering TMS just 2 weeks ago! I’ve suffered frequent migraines, 2 or 3 a week, for the last 8 years. The migraines, and the search for a cure, have dominated my life, and have made life really difficult for my husband and 2 lovely children too. A couple of weeks ago I discovered the tms wiki site, and was very quickly convinced this must be the answer. Amazingly, I came across the site while searching for Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) for migraines that has been in the news recently.

I’ve tried countless things in my search for a cure, including lots of preventative medication, some of which worked for a while, but with lots of side effects, visits to a neurologist, just about every alternative remedy, massage, acupuncture (even on my face – that’s how desperate I was!). And I’d also somehow got into the habit of avoiding anything that has ever been a trigger for anyone’s migraine ever! I was missing out lots of possible trigger foods, avoiding shops for fear of fluorescent lights, eating at certain times of day to keep my blood sugar stable etc etc. My life was totally ruled by trying to avoid migraines. None of this really seemed to be working, but I kept doing it anyway.

So when I read about TMS, the first thing I did was start living a normal life, eating anything, going shopping, just sort of rebelling against all the ‘triggers’ I’d been avoiding. In the first week, a couple of migraines started, and I had a stern chat with my subconscious about them not being necessary any more as I was dealing with my feelings now. Incredibly, the migraines subsided enough for me not to take medication for them, and just go to bed until they’d gone – this is really rare for me. The following week was half term, and I didn’t get a single migraine – wohoo! This weekend however I did get a monster migraine, and I did have to use medication. But it came right after an upsetting argument, so I suspect an emotional link and more work to do with those feelings.

And that’s where I’m up to. The weekend migraine felt like a bit of a set back, but after 8 years, an instant recovery was probably a bit much to hope for (although I was hoping of course!). I’m still feeling really positive though. Not least because whatever happens, this has made a difference I’m certain. My life is so different already, I feel like I’m now free from all the things I was doing or not doing to avoid migraines. That’s why I’ve chosen butterfly as my forum name – I feel like I’ve been trapped in a cocoon, and now I can fly free ! Its not like me to get all poetic, but this is just the best thing that could’ve happened to me.

One thing I’m trying to forgive myself for is for not finding out about this sooner. People, even the doctor, have suggested stress could be the answer. But I was offended by this, as though they were saying it could be my fault. And anyway, I reasoned that I’ve had lots of stress in my life and never had migraines until 8 years ago. And I’ve had plenty of migraines when I’m completely relaxed. But I’ve never considered subconscious, repressed feelings could be the cause. So maybe I wasn’t ready to accept it until now.

I’m just so grateful to have discovered it, and really hopeful for the future.

Thanks again to everyone on here, and I wish you all the best with your recoveries.

B

Ps. Didn’t realise I was going to write so much, but forgot to mention that in the second week, I got some really bad back pain and sciatica, that I suffered with years ago for a long time, when I was told I had a bulging disc. After reading warnings of this sort of thing happening, I tried to ignore it and told my subconscious I knew what it was up to – and it was totally gone after a couple of days.

2. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Butterfly,

Welcome to the forum welcomea

You and I have very much in common, I too was a long term chronic migraine sufferer. Amazingly I found out about TMS in the same way you did ! Those Trans-cranial Magnetic Stimulation devices don't do squat to they !

I'm so happy you've found the answer to your suffering, I share your joy.

Great choice of name, by the way !

Much love & blessings :joyful:

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome to the Forum, Butterfly!

Glad that you found us. I, too, have been a long time chronic migraine sufferer. I've actually had them since age 4, and at one point in my life had as many as 15 per month. Since discovering TMS 10 months ago, my migraines have become rare, and if I catch it early, I'm often to get rid of one using TMS healing techniques alone, with no medication. So I know this approach is effective.

You've come to the right place. Please feel free to ask questions at any time or to just ask for support. We are all here to help one another.

Congratulations on beginning your healing journey.

Mermaid likes this.
  4. butterfly

butterfly New Member

Thanks for your warm welcome Mermaid and Ellen, it means a lot to be supported by people who really understand. Interesting we both found this site in the same way Mermaid, lets hope lots of other people do too. Dr Sarno’s TMS theory looks far more promising to me than the transcranial magnetic stimulation I was looking for - the research definitely didn’t look as impressive as the news report made it sound. I know I’ve got a long way to go, but stories like yours really inspire me, and I’m sure will help keep me going on days when I don’t feel quite so positive as today :)

Ellen likes this.
  5. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Butterfly,
    Welcome to this forum. You will be so blessed with all the loving people here and all the encouragement.

6. butterfly

butterfly New Member

Thank you G.R. - how generous of you to reply to me when you are going through such pain yourself at the moment (just read your post). I can really feel the warmth and compassion of people on here, and it helps so much.