1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Just curious where you're from??

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by mousemom, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I spent three days in London years ago when in the army in Germany
    and saw and did more than I ever dreamed of. Just loved London.
    Even had "trifles" at Pam Pam's, in Picadilly Circus, I think.

2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Like everything in our modern world, the Vampire has been unnecessarily, explicitly sexualised. Imagination is all.

3. Becca

Becca Well known member

Agreed.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Popular media, movies and television, and novels, seem to be fixated on vampires.
    I preferred it back when family sitcoms, westerns, and doctor series were on tv,
    and movies were on a wide variety of themes.

I find myself watching some of the old western series on some of the satellite channels.
    A friend says he does, too, and we agreed that we like them because they were often morality plays
    on horseback, dramatizing values that we seldom see today on tv or in the movies.
    And we always could tell who were the good guys and the bad guys.
    Now that is often blurred and a bad guy is the hero, or we're supposed to like him no matter
    how many laws he breaks.

And yes, vampires are the new sex objects. Sex always did sell, in books, on tv, and in movies.
    So mix a sexy story with vampires and you get a blockbuster.

To me, one of the sexiest movies ever made was "Casablanca," even though Bogey and Bergman
    were never shown in bed together or biting each other's neck. It was about romance, not sex.

But it looks like vampires are here to stay, like rock music. Ugh.

5. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Walt, your gentle spirit is worth it's weight in gold. I feel affection for the libertine, don't mind rock and prefer my vampires to have a gothic twist but I absolutely feel our cultures are dominated by the tacky and the obvious. There is no subtlety any more. No seduction. I want to be drawn in, not have *it* thrust in my face. It's gruesome.
    I'm no prude, not by any standards but watching Miley Cyrus at this years vma made me think:

Sodom and Gomorrah 1: Hope for the Flowers 0.

Idly I wonder if virtues will become the shadow traits of the future.

I love this forum. I love how the question 'where are you from?' has snowballed into a larger sense.

6. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh this did make me laugh, Walt. As a kid I was an avid fan of Dark Shadows, the daytime horror soap opera featuring Barnabas the vampire and Quentin the werewolf. I used to race home from school to watch this. I saw part of the recent film version on a flight recently. As you say, Ugh!

As this thread is about where we are all from, I have to mention that I grew up in a small New England town, otherwise the other British folk will start to wonder what I am on about. I don't think the original Dark Shadows made it across the pond.

7. Becca

Becca Well known member

Plum, this got me laughing so hard....

Me, too, plum - to me, we are absolutely still talking about where we're from. Just not in the conventional way. Getting to know each other...I'm loving it :)

8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Ah Becca, I do like you such a lot, and not in the 'flattery will get you everywhere' spirit but rather because you remind me of who I wish I'd been. Not that it's done me any harm but I was so frolicsome (veering into the flaky) at your age. You're a strike for the flowers.

(but omg. miley. how compellingly awful was it? i watched through my fingers).

9. Becca

Becca Well known member

Wow, plum - feeling very warm and fuzzy inside, reading this. I like you quite a lot too. I will be lucky to become half as wise as you, someday.

OH GOD. Oh boy. It was disgusting. Just awful. I didn't watch live, but when my Facebook news feed exploded, I went to YouTube and watched the whole performance...simply cannot believe that anyone would ever consider any of that to be OK. Besides the obvious (that display of sexuality that completely objectified women, not to mention the clear racism in the whole performance), my question is, how is it this performance even made it to the VMAs? Something as huge as the VMAs have GOT to have dress rehearsals of some sort, or at least tech. Even if the whole performance was a "surprise" there are so many elements that go into a major performance - choreographers, backup dancers and their substitutes, the band, the lighting crew...how did no one catch this? Miley's not off the hook (she clearly still thinks it was "making history" and that there's nothing really wrong with her behavior), but seriously, with all the people involved, how is it that not one person realized the obscenity of this performance, and tried to speak up about it? And what about Robin Thicke? What the hell was he thinking? He's a grown, married man -- a dad, for crying out loud -- and from what I've read it sounds like he was 100% on board with his part in the performance, and had no objections to Miley's solo performance either. Not saying it was on others to step in in place of Miley. Not at all. I'm just not sure why everyone was going along with it in the first place. It was just so clearly TERRIBLE in all forms of that word. Also I think the songs themselves are pretty awful too, but that's completely besides the point.

...sorry, got a little carried away there. I jut have a lot of very strong feelings and opinions around the whole thing!

10. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Notoriety seems to be more important than art these days.

11. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Born in Chicago. Went to school in MN, KS, IA. Now live in Round Rock TX (Austin area!)

12. James59

James59 Well known member

The most beautiful part of California, the Monterey Peninsula.

13. nancy

nancy Well known member

I was born and raised in N.J. and moved to Spring Hill TN just about 3 yrs ago now. I love it here.
    Just love the South!

14. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm in deepest darkest Devon in the UK, which is the most beautiful bit - and the bit that does the cream teas!
    Judy Dench and Maggie Smith rock - I hope everyone's seen Best Exotic Marigold Hotel?

15. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

Im just an ol southern bred country boy.
    We say mam and we say grace ya know.
    Not many left, time changes then we stay the same

I like the country, there's bigger towns down here too and
    I just like the cool country breeze, cant beat it- Hee, Haw.

16. Bhamgirl

Bhamgirl Peer Supporter

And I'm a southern bred girl. Born and raised in Alabama, but currently reside in NW Florida.
    I wouldn't be a proper southerner without mentioning football, so here it goes, "War Eagle"

Becca likes this.