1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Just curious where you're from??

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by mousemom, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Gigalos, I spent a few days in Amsterdam while on leave in the U.S. army in Germany many moons ago.
    I loved the city. I was there in springtime so I saw the tulip farms and the boats with fresh flowers.

Becca, good luck studying at Harvard. I visited Boston long ago and loved it.

Becca likes this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

They played a little fast and loose with history but the result was a compelling drama and a fine starting point for more indepth explorations. The passionate affair between Anne and Henry was glorious. Every romantic bone in my body quivered.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I lived near Cambridge in the beautiful town of Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk in 2011-12. I loved everything about it, even the weather...except driving on the left--I never adjusted. But fortunately you have great public transportation. Hope to go back someday.

I'm off to Germany later this month for 3 months for work. Love Europe, but it's great to come home too.

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Plum,
    I believe I could have guessed this, just from reading your wonderful posts!

Becca and plum like this.
  5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I live between those flower fields. When I was a teenager I worked in them. Amsterdam has never had a big appeal to me, but that might be because I always need nature less than a five minute walk away. Also I just want to be able to experience the faint smell of the sea.

On another note, Walt, is your Anne also able to smell home? Our dog always got mad from excitement in the car whenever we returned from vacation and got close to home. I think it is the typical smell that we humans are unable to detect (??) Maybe it is something supernatural as I have seen some impressive stuff from dogs and their owners, but since I am a scientist I put my money on smell....

6. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

You lived in a beautiful part of the country. Understand the whole driving on the other side business, I almost have a heart attack in taxis in Europe when young men are the drivers. Egads!

If you ever visit England again be sure to let me know.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Plum, sorry I got mixed up and said you live in Australia.
    Re-reading posts I see you live in the heart of England. Where?

Star Wars must have knocked your socks off. It did mine.
    Harrison Ford gave us a new kind of hero. He stole the picture.

Your favorite actor is Brando. Mine, in that intense type of actor, is Montgomery Clift.
    Have you see him in THE SEARCH, RED RIVER, and A PLACE IN THE SUN ?

8. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

No worries Walt, we were messaging at quite a tempo last night. I've sent you a PM.

As for Harrison Ford, yes, a hero and heart-throb in one. We watched Raiders of the Lost Ark a couple of days ago. I LOVED it! I was swept back to the very first time, a ten year old kid lost in the adventure. My spirits were high as a kite after.

I've not seen the films you mention but have duly noted them. I must have seen some Clift movies. I'll search them out and see.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

plum,

If you haven't seen it, Harrison Ford made a good romantic movie, HANOVER STREET, 1977, two years after the first STAR WARS movie. He played an American pilot in World War II London who meets a lovely Brit army nurse named Margaret (Lesley-Anne Down) during an air raid. The two fall in love, but she has a secret: When Ford is assigned behind enemy lines, he soon realizes that his operative partner is none other than Margaret's husband (Christopher Plummer).

If you get Netflix, they have it on DVD.

hanover street.jpg

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

It's the kind of movie that can help to forget TMS pain.

11. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

I also think it is wonderful that (thanks to the Internet) we can all communicate and help each other. It would not have been possible in the past. I live in a town called Brentwood which is in Essex. Not that far from London.

12. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

A Montana girl here but have lived all over the place. Walt, I'm a writer too. :) Used to string for a couple of local papers and what not.

PS I just checked out your impressive list of books! Yay! I am trying to get into fiction. It's a hard leap for me...I do feature writing/ non fiction and humor.

13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Getting fiction published is harder than nonfiction. Novels for preteens and teenagers about horses are usually worth trying, with a girl the main character. Contemporary or historical, either one. Just a suggestion. Keep writing nonfiction for bread and butter.

14. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Mousemom, where in Colorado do you live? My sister lives in Boulder and I visit almost every year--love it there!

I live in the Riverdale section of the Bronx, in New York City (as you can possibly tell from my handle). I'm very close to the Hudson River and am lucky enough to sometimes walk along it during my daily walks/runs.

15. mousemom

mousemom Peer Supporter

This is great! Love to see where everyone is from.

Gail: I live in northern colorado about an hour north of boulder. I wish there were people on this site that lived in colorado so there could be a support group. But this community is my biggest support.

gailnyc likes this.
  16. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

My late grandfather, J.R. Jorgensen, jumped ship from the Danish Navy in San Francisco, California, right after the Great Earthquake and Fire, in December 1906. That's where I was born too although many years later in July 1947, via a convoluted maternal life path from the Klondike Gold Fields to a homestead a mile down the road from Custer Battlefield near the Little Big Horn River in Montana. On the Greek side, my paternal grandfather immigrated to the USA from Thasos in the northern Aegean Sea near the coast of Thrace some time after WWI. I think there's a bibliography of my writings on this site:

www.morcommpress.com

Grew up in the Bay View-Hunter's Point District of San Francisco out near the Naval Shipyard where my father worked on sheet metal on ships of the line (and the Norway rats were as big as cats). Then, like everyone else we moved to the suburbs on the SF Peninsula as part of the "white flight" GI bill housing boom. When my father founded his own company, we moved up the hill to Belmont as post-War prosperity transformed workers into a prosperous middle class. College in SF, grad school at the U. of Denver where everyone was a zillionaire with a big trust fund and I was the impoverished son of a blue collar worker. Then, Yosemite Rescue Team and Outward Bound School in Washington and Oregon. Technical writing and test engineering in the Silicon Valley. Now it's time to be a bum again!

17. Becca

Becca Well known member

Walt, I can attest to that - I think 80% of my bookshelf growing up was comprised of these books! Nowadays, though, I see too many vampire stories...I blame Twilight.

18. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Becca, now that the nights are drawing in, one should reread Dracula. Or maybe relish the sensual prose of Anne Rice. Vampires being the more decadent animal...

Becca likes this.
  19. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I loved the old vampire movies but not anything new about them.

Becca likes this.
  20. leonardo999

leonardo999 Well known member

Living in the East of London UK....... :*( all my life,,, well all of it so far.