1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Just a thought

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by dharn999, Oct 20, 2016.

1. dharn999

dharn999 Well known member

im a believer in TMS/Distraction theory through and through. I beat it once after suffering with back and sciatica pain for over a year. The recovery process was slow but enlightening. My pain has returned about 4 months ago, and while I'm doing better, my pain is still there and fully distracting at times...

Now, I do not let my pain prevent me from anything no matter what pain it may lead to. So what I'm wondering is, does anyone think (or is it written by Sarno) that this pain has a time frame it's going to run its course no matter how much you ignore it.

I'm starting to look at it like the time I rolled the crap out of my ankle, it was organic in injury, and it took X amount of time to heal, then X amount to strengthen again... does anyone think TMS is similar?

As long as you know it will get better, once it runs its timeline it will fade... but it will have its time with you because you need the distraction and your unconscious will keep with it for at least a certain time frame... and maybe some people's time is longer than others

I hope this makes sense, it's what I've been thinking about lately because it's interesting how people who've suffered for a long time have quicker recoveries as to people who have shorter time frames of pain... it's also been driving me nuts as to why a second attack of pain is so difficult... but this is something that kind of makes sense to me

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I've been studying TMS for over 3 years now and I haven't seen any correlation between the time one has TMS and the time it takes to recover. Do you have a reference for this, or is it based on your personal experience?

3. dharn999

I don't have any reference to it, really just a thought. I guess how I see it, the distraction of pain is really unavoidable because we have stress and other emotional factors, it's the understanding of the pain and its origins that allow you to heal... but how is it that you have a relapse and cannot get it to go away immediately... I'm at the conclusion then that the pain has a time frame when it returns and you really just have to ride it out.

I've had days when the pain was very little and i gave it no attention, then the next day the pain was a little worse.

I know that you should never count the days for the healing to happen, but I'm really thinking there is a unique timeline for everyone on when your mind feels the need to no longer distract you, but only if you understand what's happening

Again, just a thought, can't really be proven because everyone's mind and body are different so each time line would be different, but it very well could be a factor

4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I know how frustrating a relapse can be. In my experience, you just have to acknowledge it's TMS, think psychologically about it, and let it go, and it will resolve eventually. It is my nature also to try to figure out rules that TMS follows, but I've learned to let it go, as the unconscious works in irrational ways. I have found that the time it takes me to resolve a relapse has shortened considerably over time. I can now just feel a twinge of TMS and then get it to go away almost immediately. It gets easier. Hang in there.

readytoheal likes this.
  5. dharn999

I had a few mild relapses and they faded out, this one is about 4 months now.. I know I have changed in my life that has added new stresses and pressures to life, I'm better now than I was 2 months ago... my wife jokes that I've had both major TMS episodes near presidential elections so maybe I'm stressed about that...

I know it will pass, it's just hard when you think you have it beat and forgot all about it and then bam!!!

It took 6-9 months thebfirst time, but I didn't really keep track of the days that time