1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Just a quick question about symptom imperative

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Xanamcx, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Xanamcx

Xanamcx New Member

Hello! Sorry to make a new thread but I am having a TMS relapse I think. Symptom imperative has been coming up one after the other this past few weeks. Forgetting that hey it could be just TMS! But the intensity of the symptoms are quite overwhelming.

Just wondering, what if I have thought about the issues that might be causing the pains and then I realised that yes it could be that issue but sadly I cannot change it or do something about it. How could it stop my symptom imperative attacks? Yes I kind of know the emotional problem behind it but I know that I cannot change the problem or sort or solve that problem.

Getting so sick and tired of analysing and fighting. Sigh.

Thank you for your help in advance.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it's that "acceptance" thing.

Ellen likes this.
  3. Xanamcx

Xanamcx New Member

Sorry but what do you mean? I have to accept what? I'm just confused now.

4. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

5. beachgirl

beachgirl Peer Supporter

Symptom Imperwtive is a great topic and something I am dealing with myself. I wish we would have a thread on that one alone every day! In my case I recovered/got cured from debilitating back pain by reading Sarno's books many years ago.

Then a couple years back I stopped binge eating for the first time in my life for over a year. I suffer from a terrible eating disorder which until that time absolutely devastated my daily life. I was powerless and sick beyond belief from it on a daily basis until I stopped cold a couple years ago. Then I eneterred a terrible period of financial trouble and without the food ruling my life and to go to for comfort my anger and depression went through the roof. It's hard to know how much of the anxiety was from my financial problems which were and still are terrible but it got so bad I decided to take a second type of antidepressant to help me feel better. It was a very big deal that I would take this step, like finally my anxiety and depression would be cured.

Within 5 days if taking the antidepressant my hair began to rapidly fall out. I stopped the antidepressant immediately but my hair still fell out and hasn't stopped since and that was two years ago. I was told it was stress and would grow back but it hasn't. On top of that I developed bad burning and pain in my scalp which I have had also for these two years. I've been to 5 or 6 drs and they all say it is stress and some say also hormones which sounds plausible except I never could get past the fact that it started days after solving my depression problem, like symptom Imperative and also came on so rapidly that physically it didn't make sense. Nor does the constant pain and burning for which the drs say makes no sense. I had a scalp biopsy and they say there is nothing wrong with me.

Even know I see how all the dots line up for TMS I have major doubt and have a hard time believing it can beTMS. On one hand I see it so clearly on the other I say nope, can't be that. It's a real physical problem and no one else seems to have it so it can't be TMS. I cant get enough of people sharing on the symptom Imperative as it relates to this! It is so easy to see it when someone else shares it with their own Symptoms.

6. Xanamcx

Xanamcx New Member

7. Xanamcx

Xanamcx New Member

We

We are quite the same beachgirl. I had great success with my back pain 7 years back and now I have no problems saying its just TMS whenever I get back pain and immediately it will just go away.

I guess Tom is right I have problems with acceptance. I always want things to change I want to change and I feel that there is something wrong if I cannt change something but often times I cannot change these stuff.

But yes it is quite nerve racking if you feel something wrong- pain there, hair falling out, could this be cancer?!- type of sensation/feeling. You always double take, then you get so confused and you don't know where to stand.

Having this kind of personality sucks.

beachgirl likes this.