1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

jumping off the physical cliff...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by UkAdR, Nov 1, 2014.

1. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

So I am in the middle of some excessive doubt in this process... I'm rereading Steve O's brilliant book and have just finished the section again on how he recovered.

His first jog and that faith and bravery it takes to do somsomething like that is astounding. I have walked and swam, but still haven't returned to as Sarno states the most strenuous exercise. I am considering a jog...

My question is - who has managed to take that leap of faith and done something very physical despite the pain? I think I remember Sarno stating somewhere that he couldn't remember a case where increasing the physical activity increased pain....

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Just go for it UK expect the pain don't fight it and just keep going

3. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

I just got back from swimming even though I'm in the middle of a flare up. Fuck you TMS!

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Going for that swim was wonderful. It told your TMS that YOU are in charge, not it,
    and you have made up your mind to heal despite any pain.

Now have some fun the rest of the weekend. Do whatever it takes to make you happy and relaxed.

5. Ales

Ales New Member

Hi UkAdR! I've been there. I embraced TMS while suffering a tremendous pain. Went for a jog, though limping....I took a chainsaw and made a lot's of wood.....stacked few hundreds of hay bales....jumped 100+ on hard floor from 6 feet height....again begun play indoor soccer......just to convince my mind that there is nothing structural wrong with my back...and eventually pain vanished....of course all that with huge help of John Sarno, Steve Ozanich and this TMSwiki forum....

6. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

I went for a jog this morning! Wow! The first time in 2 years. I have never really been running before anyway, but i jogged today. The important thing is that the running has not INCREASED my pain any more. I felt great and was quite emotional after I did it, but just then carried on walking. I only jogged about 150m but this was my goal and what I visualised. I am planning to do the same tomorrow but try going another 50-100m perhaps.

My only lingering worry is my type of pain. Soooooo many stories talk about the sharp shooting pains of the muscles going into spasm. I don't really get that type of pain. Mine is more a constant deep ache and is my primary reason I am still sceptical deep down about the TMS diagnosis.

I am going to go and see a TMS practitioner next week I think - I really hope that gets rid of any of the worries I have.

Cheers,

Adam

Ellen and yb44 like this.
  7. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Focus less on the type of pain you feel - this keep your mind trained on a structural cause. Focus instead on this:

What emotions did you feel? What part of your body as affected by the emotion? When was the last time you allowed yourself to experience this type of emotion?

Ellen likes this.