1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. Bonnard is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Journalling vs Unsent Letter

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by NIClubber, Dec 1, 2016.

1. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

I now have a really good idea of what is causing me the back pains and dizziness - my best friend's relationship with his wife, which has so many similarities to my relationship with my mum.

I have been journalling about it for most of the last three or four months (and probably more), with my pains only intensifying by the week.

My TMS therapist has advised me to write an unsent letter. Has anyone had any pain reduction from writing an unsent letter, rather than journalling?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

My advice is write the unsent letter. Yes, I have done this, but not related to TMS. I have directed clients to do this, and I think it was part of what helped them.

The unsent letter is "better" than journaling because you are getting a chance to express yourself directly to the person. This has potency. Let yourself say whatever comes to your heart.

Good Luck!!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, NIClubber. I like Andy's advice and explanation very much. Writing an unsent letter allows you to address a specific person and issue better than journaling about it. Let it all hang out in your letter. Be honest and, if necessary, angry. Your TMS therapist was right-on suggesting the letter.

4. NIClubber

NIClubber Peer Supporter

Problem is that I still don't really know what it is that is causing me to be so angry - there are so many things. At the moment, I believe that he is being bullied by his wife to changing into a completely different personality from what he has been in the past, and it seems to be that it is an abusive relationship.

5. Andy Bayliss

All the details will come out when you start writing. And you don't have to make sense to your analytical mind. Forgive me, but it seems you're overthinking this, which might be part of your TMS personality. Write a letter. Sense into your body, notice how you feel. If you want to write a different letter you can do that to in the next minute, or the next week. Write ten until you get it perfect. It does not matter.;)

NIClubber likes this.
  6. Andy Bayliss

"Dear _____,
    I dont know why, but I am quite angry with you. I think it has to do with_______________. I notice that I have _________________thoughts and feelings about you. I wish you would ______________. I'd like you to stop ________________. Etc!"

You get this far, NIClubber, and then you see where it leads you!

NIClubber likes this.