1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Journaling:typing vs writing

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Hopeful83, Aug 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hopeful83

Hopeful83 New Member

Was wondering your thoughts on writing the journal vs typing...one more therapeutic than the other?

2. sundizz

sundizz New Member

Hopeful83 likes this.
  3. Elena99

Elena99 New Member

I found that writing frustrated me, because I type so much more quickly. But writing sometimes can be good.

Hopeful83 likes this.
  4. SunnyinFL

SunnyinFL Well known member

Hi Hopeful,
    I have a strong left brain and find that both typing and writing put me in left-brain/logical mode. I think this is especially so for me because I write and type so much in my profession - so both put my mind in "work" mode. So, I have been doing more experimenting about how to access my emotions while I write. I've discovered that I can access my emotions better and keep them flowing if I write differently than I do when I work (which is left to right, top to bottom). For example, as suggested in some of the TMS books, I'll start with a circle in the middle of a page, draw lines to link related thoughts and emotions, circle them, and keep doing lines/links and circles with new information. I don't worry about full sentences, which can slow me down and, again, is more like I write when I work. I'll just do words and phrases, and sometimes even little symbols or drawings. So, my advice would be to experiment and see what works for you. Try some new approaches and see what works best for you to keep your feelings flowing as you write. Good luck!

Lainey likes this.
  5. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

I write by hand and I also keep a "mad journal" on my computer. I like the ability to choose which fits my mood best. Sometimes when I am really angry and just want to get a whole lot out quickly, I like to pound on the computer keys. And then when I am in a more reflective, explorative mood, I like to write by hand in my journal. I personally think what is most important is to use journaling as a tool and to get in the habit of doing it. It is very effective.

6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have tried both and feel writing has been more beneficial and let me express myself more authentically. I've actually felt pain / anger in my hands as I've explored events.

I guess there is no right or wrong way, you just adapt and do what you feel comfortable with and not add any unnecessary stress to the task, e.g am I doing it correctly etc.

SunnyinFL likes this.
  7. Elijah Lynn

Elijah Lynn Peer Supporter

Thanks for starting this thread, it came up as the first result for https://www.google.com/search?q=tms+journaling+typing+or+writing (tms journaling typing or writing - Google Search). My take away from this is that it probably really doesn't matter, as all that matters is surfacing the emotions. My plan is to burn my writing (or delete, not save the file) anyways as I really don't want to keep it written down. It just helps to surface it however it gets out, and I do type so much faster than writing so I am going to do both and not _worry_ (anymore) which one is best as my perfectionistic tendency wants me to do.