1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Journal

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jbathlete, Aug 19, 2021.

1. jbathlete

jbathlete Newcomer

I have been putting off starting this by trying every OTHER way I can find for which claims are made (by the purveyors) of permanent cure. Nothing else works permanently. At the same time, I am fascinated by the study of human movement and have considered Alexander Technique or Feldenkrais Method certifications. I admire grace, fluidity, control, power and economy -- lately not experiencing much of that myself. My 'issue' is in the hip/glute/piriformis/tfl region, radiating down through outer thighs and IT band. I was advised by a PT to stop my fitness routine while I began a series of fascial stretching and self myofascial releases exercises. Of course, the program didn't work and I got out of shape to boot. Struggling now because no matter what I tried, the pain just kept getting worse. I finally say "enough!" My main doubt area involves the fear of really going for it (btw, I am healthy otherwise, Drs can find now medical condition (other than "arthritis, trochanteric bursitis, recommending 'slowing down as you get older,' etc. ). If anyone can share their own experience with "just knowing" that a certain movement will be really painful, doing it anyway and coming out unharmed, that would be helpful. Thank you all for making this available.

2. Hedger

Hedger Well known member

Here is some of my evidence:

1) Carrying around my 13kg kid when he doesn't want to walk. Was a sure way for me to get worse back, hip and leg pain. Everyone always saying you have to lift a certain way and carry a certain way etc etc to not get injured, just fueling the fear. I started the TMS work Nov 2020. I have for many months now been carrying my kid every day with no issue! Sure if I carry him for 30 min I get tired in muscles, but not pain.

2) Running. Somewhere in the beginning of my TMS work (during this SEP program) I was improving and decided to run 10km and 14km. After half the distance I got leg and hip pain, and just told my brain to fuck off and that it is emotional pain and finished the distance anyway. It disappeared within a few minutes during the run.