1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Joint Pain TMS - PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Warrior123, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Warrior123

Warrior123 New Member

Hi Everyone:

I've been a TMS'er all my life and learned about Sarno 5 years ago and it and Steve O saved my life. I had all over body pain and burning. I had a full recovery with a brief period of TMS anxiety last winter. In May I went off birth control and am now experiences joint pain in my wrists, fingers, shoulders and with many movements. I am scared because I know estrogen protects the joints and this sudden withdrawal is all over the web saying it causes arthritis. I am working weekly with a TMS therapist and making progress, however, it would be so helpful to know of other experienced TMS all over joint pains/jabs.

I've started HRT for many reasons, mainly brain health. I am told this will help with time.

Thanks to anyone who can respond!

S

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Warrior,

Sorry to hear you're suffering from TMS again! That's great that you're working with a TMS therapist, I think that will be of great help to you. A few things to consider given your situation- there is a pretty low dose of estrogen in birth control pills so going off them shouldn't result in major changes to your joints. People going through menopause also should not universally be experiencing joint pain. There is no evidence to suggest that going off your pill would cause arthritis. Furthermore, even if you happened to have arthritis in some of your joints, frequently pain is more attributable to TMS than the arthritis itself. This is central to TMS theory as you probably know! I think a lot of people on this forum have experienced this kind of widespread TMS pain. Reassure yourself that this new joint pain is not due to going off your pill. Consult with a TMS doctor if you need extra reassurance but there is no evidence to suggest that this is what is happening!

3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

what else happened in your life that would necessitate a symptom? I have had TMS in my shoulder , knees and hands in the joints. .... Usually it goes after what will distract me both And What is plausible. E.g. in Baseball season, my arm or hip .....At work my knee....playing guitar, my fingers. We tend to seek out 'explanations' for new symptoms, but to anyone who is a chronic, classic TMSer that's unadvisable. If I go to WebMd I usually leave with Cancer, tumors and several surgeries I need (LOL)....

I know nothing about estrogen and Gal stuff, but I do know a lot of Gals and I have never heard of one getting pain from going off of Birth Control.

New symptoms is usually time to review old reliable TMS info.

peace

4. Warrior123

Warrior123 New Member

Hi MindbodyPT and Baseball65. I really appreciate your responses and I think I need to work on going through the TMS steps and journal more. The stabbing pain in my wrists is what's causing the most anxiety now. I keep reminding myself I've had all these symptoms before and it's hard to tell why the distraction is needed. It is the holidays and I am sure there are a lot of unconscious feelings circling around. The good news is that I keep working, being present with family, working out and seeing my friends regardless of the pain and anxiety it's causing.

Yes, and Baseball65 - I do keep trying to see out explanations and the truth is that I have to 100% believe it's TMS or that little bit of doubt will keep me seeking more info from doctors etc to try to ease my anxiety. Would you be open to e-mail or a phone call given you too had the joint pain. If yes, can you private message me. I've talked to folks on the site both for helping and healing in the past and found it to be an amazing support group. People get better, thankfully, and then leave the site.

And I am going to connect with my TMS MD tomorrow. He is amazing.

Thanks again to you both.