1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel L. Job induced tms?

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi...I have been making some decent progress with my (self diagnosed) TMS over the last 3 weeks. Am totally on board. I returned to work today after 3 months off to"fix" my chronic back pain ( I realise now that was counter productive as all I did was fixate on it by going to PT etc) anyway..... work is a massive trigger for me...I associate my office with pain and I had come to think IT was the reason for my pain... so today was a big step..I did ok lots of self talk..the pain came back in the usual spots but I managed to not buy into it... (much) I had my moments of.... its still here..!!!!! It IS tbis place..
    I WANT to like my job again...how do I get past this trigger? As well..the general stiffness I felt after sitting and concentrating all day is THAT tms too or just tiredness?
    Thanks

2. Daniel G Lyman LCSW

Daniel G Lyman LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Congrats on the progress you’ve made. Overcoming TMS is no small feat!

There could be two things going on:

First, you say that you want to like your job again. Do you like it or not? Completely outside of the experience of your pain, do you like your job? If the answer is no, then that might be a large reason as to why your pain is there. If you don’t like your job, then there is little we can do to force you to like your job. If you love your job, but the pain is still there, then…

The other thing that could be going on is that your pain at work is a conditioned response. By that, I mean that for whatever reason you have come to associate pain with being at work, and because of that expectation the pain is closely related to being at work. If this is the case, then you truly need to teach yourself not to care about this pain. I can tell that you are (as all of us TMSers are) hypervigilant about your body because you are concerned about general stiffness (which is just a normal reaction to sitting and concentrating, by the way). This says to me that you are probably also hypervigilant about the pain. Learn to not care about the pain (keep going to work and don’t let the pain get in your way), and you will break the conditioned response. There is also a lot of information about conditioned responses in other places on the wiki, so I encourage you to look that up.

Keep up the good work! You'll get there.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. RozieHolland

RozieHolland Peer Supporter

Hello,

it is a little different, but still the same I think.

20 Years ago I was a busdriver.
    One morning I came out of bed and I had diarrhea. I couldn't go to work.
    It took 12 days. After 2 weeks I could work again.
    When I came at work I had diarrhea again. So I went home.
    This took over a year. Everytime I get to work I had diarrhea.

It wasn't that I hated my work, but I had something I wanted to do.
    I was planning to start my own practice, but I didn't dare.
    I read a book of Christine Beerlandt (The Key to Self-Liberation) wherein she discribes the psychological reasons of 1200 diseases.
    The book told me that I didn't dare to make a dicision. That was true.
    Then I made the dicision to quit my job and start my own practice.
    At the time I made the dicision my diarrhea was gone and never came back.

So I think that you have to look if this is the right job for you.

With love, Rozie.