1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Jingle Bells

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Colly, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

While reading Louise Hay’s book: ‘You can heal your life’ yesterday a passage on forgiveness jumped out of the page which read:

“Practising forgiveness and releasing resentment can be fun, if you want to make it so. Make up a little song about that person or situation that is so hard to release. When you sing a ditty, it lightens up the whole procedure. When I work with clients, I bring laughter into the procedure as soon as I can. The quicker we can laugh about the whole thing, the easier it is to let it go.”

I gave this a go this morning on my walk to the train. I thought about a situation at work that was bothering me and started singing it to the music of ‘Jingle Bells’. I ended up having the giggles. It was such an instant remedy for diffusing my tension. I now have a post-it on my wall at work saying ‘Jingle Bells’ to remind me for next time! Give it a go - it works!:)

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, dear Colly. What a great idea... sing and release resentment so as to forgive.
    I'll try the "Jingle Bells" song with my own lyrics next time something or someone bugs me.

North Star likes this.
  3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

I love these sort of practical pearls of advice…thanks, Colly! I'll have to try it!

The other thing that I've been doing when I'm having a hard time with a person in particular is to speak aloud: "I send light and love to them". I repeat that over until my fangs and claws have retracted.

Colly likes this.
  4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I love this Colly, thank you so much for your interesting experiment. I love Louise Hayes, she has a very powerful book there, "You can Heal Your Life."
    We should all take a lesson from her book and apply it to our tms healing tool kit. There are always new tools to get a reframe, learning to look at things in another way is an awesome tool and then to add laughter to anything is just icing on the pudding. :)
    Awesome....
    PS - Whenever I help those that don't know of tms healing and also those that do but haven't had much success, I'll often go to her list of causes and symptoms. For example if someone is telling me they are having tummy issues I automatically know its something they are holding in and not letting go from reading Hayes works. Its a go to book for many self help gurus and also many of us that just need to know. Thanks again for bringing this awesome tool of Jingle Bell Rock- :) and adding the problem there and then letting it go to our attention.
    Bless You...

5. Colly

Hey Herbie, I too found that chapter really interesting. I find the symbolic meaning of symptoms really enlightening. It just makes so much sense. I was actually reading that section on the train on my way home tonight, and each time I read about a symptom I have had, I thought "ah ha", because her explanation was almost always spot on!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Great idea, Colly. My major childhood problem was that my father went out of his way to squash every sign of happiness in me (and everyone else he could reach). He didn't succeed, entirely, but I did develop an "amygdala script" (thanks for that, Walt) that kicks in at the slightest sign of opposition. So here's my ditty to daddy (to the tune of Jingle Bells)

Silly dad, silly dad
    Don't you know, my dear
    That little girls, so full of joy
    Are nothing you should fear.

Interesting that this is the most positive thought I've felt towards in the old b****** since I was eight years old when I decided he was the problem, not me. A psychologist once commented, "That decision saved you." but it doesn't make for a truly positive outlook on life, does it?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Colly and Ellen like this.
  7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, njoy. I like your Jingle Bells lyrics to your dad. Mine never gave me credit for anything, just put me down.
    I still don't know why but forgive him because maybe he wanted me to be a boy millionaire and when all I was
    was a just a boy.
    Maybe he got me mixed up with Shirley Temple.

8. Colly

Njoy! Congrats, I bet that song felt good to sing. Of course to avoid getting the melody for 'Jingle Bells' stuck in your head all day you could alternate it with a Limerick.

Here's one to whet your whistle:

A certain young fellow named Bee-Bee
    Wished to wed a woman named Phoebe.
    "But," he said, "I must see
    What the clerical fee
    Be before Phoebe be Phoebe Bee-Bee

tarala and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I love things like this. Here is one of my own:

She was only a swimmer's daughter,
    but she knew all the dives.