1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Jealous on people with no pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Raj s, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

Hi,

I am jealous on lots of my friends or relatives who have no pain.. The fact that I could not enjoy or live like them is making me more angry.

Has anyone felt like this before.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I guess I have also felt jealous of those who are not in any pain.
    But two years ago when I began having severe back pain, it led me to learning about
    Dr. Sarno and TMS. I put his advice to work and healed. Since then I have thanked God
    for giving me the back pain because it led me to Dr. Sarno's book, Healing Back Pain,
    and to this forum with its so many kind and helpful people.

And also, you may think your friends and relatives have no pain, but I'm sure they do,
    of one sort or another. Lots of people keep their pain or anxieties to themselves.

Don't let being jealous of others being without pain, even if they have none,
    make you angry. Anger causes pain.

3. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

I can understand where you're coming from. I also find myself resenting my pain, and getting angry at it for making me weak, i.e. having to be gentle with myself rather than "toughing it out", like so many people do, and I did before the pain...
    Most of all, the pain isolates. It hurts that other people have no idea what it's like, and expect more of me than I can do, physically and emotionally. They don't realize that putting pressure on me, or causing me stress, has the opposite effect of motivation. Yeah, I feel like such a wimp sometimes, but when that feeling subsides my body calms down and responds.

Since my TMS I feel more alone, but also more deserving of setting my own limits and pace in everything I do. Hell, when I think of it, I can do all I could before I got the pain, even better. And it's not a race. I just need to stay mindful, calm and positively-motivated, i.e. by the sweetness of success and promise of improvement, not by coming second in some competition with someone else.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Ollin, your thoughts are healthy. Take things slow and easy in healing from TMS.
    But don't feel alone. There are a lot of TMSers, me included.