1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

IT WOIKS !

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021), Dec 30, 2012.

1. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

IT WOIKS !

Dr. Sarno’s TMS theory of becoming pain free really does work. Follow his 12 Daily Reminders on page 82 of HEALING BACK PAIN and you WILL be free of pain, wherever it is. It may happen in two to four weeks, maybe longer, but stick with it and you will come out the pain free end of the pain tunnel.

A few months ago I was in excruciating back pain, read about TMS, and knew I had it. When I went to the TMSWiki forums I posted about it and Steve Ozanich replied that from just reading about the boyhood memories I posted about parents divorcing, remarrying, moving almost annually, living with very little security and lots of family anger, I was a “perfect storm” for TMS. I read his bookTHE GREAT PAIN DECEPTION about his recovery from TMS following the Sarno plan, and also began following Dr. Scott Brady’s TMS plan in PAIN FREE FOR LIFE and began programming my subconscious that my pain was not structural(although I am 82) but from repressed emotions.

I am now 90 percent pain free, sometimes less. I believe I would have reached that earlier but kept thinking that some of my back pain is from aging and structural deterioration. Dr. Sarno says we must not do that but instead attribute any and all pain to repressed emotions.

Brady’s plan suggests daily journaling and through that I discovered I had a lot, I mean a LOT, of repressed emotions (rage, anger, anxiety, fear, worry, guilt, etc.) and I also have a Type T perfectionist personality and work for a super perfectionist. I’m a writer and editor and he’s an author and book publisher. He’s very difficult to work for and my work is all on the computer which creates back pain.

Journaling not only brought the repressed emotions to the surface but I practiced forgiveness, and the list of those to forgive was long, including forgiving myself. At the same time, I followed Dr. Sarno’s advice and did not let pain stop me from living my regular daily routine. So I walked my dog as always, lifted things as usual, cleaned the house and did my cooking, driving for groceries, mowed my lawn, snow plowed my driveway, etc. I felt pain, but when I yelled at my subconscious that it was not structural but from repressed emotions, it was tolerable.

Last night I could not sleep because of some moderate back pain and was close to taking an Advil (I almost never take it or aspirin or any pain killer) but resisted and firmly told my subconscious the pain was from repressed emotions. I wasn’t sure which one it was last night, so I told my subcon to pick out whichever it wanted from my storehouse. The pain went away and I slept. So I FINALLY do know my pain is not from aging or structural deterioration, it is from repressed emotions.

I see elderly neighbors and others younger walking with back pain and no longer think it’s from aging or back deterioration, they too have pain from TMS. But they may not know about TMS.

Another concept that helps toward being able to forgive is PERSPECTIVE. I began to rethink and in some cases relive relationships and experiences that caused me emotional distress. In most if not all instances, by putting myself in others’ shoes I was able to see their side of whatever caused me distress. Often, the person may not have meant to cause me distress or they may have taken their own distress out on mebecause I was handy. Of course there may well be situations that others intentionally caused you great harm or distress, then the only way to lift that burden on yourself is to try to forgive them. If necessary, just forgive them for being psycologically sick.

Briefly, another thing… I recently began to dream about people including my parents and situations that brought to the surface some long-repressed emotions. I journaled about them the next morning and through that came closer to being pain free. Dreams of my mother and father gave me great peace. It was as if they were telling me to let go of my anger or guilt regarding them. I realized I’ve never been a parent so I don’t know what a big job that can be. To be a perfect parent or a perfect son or daughter? Impossible!

On the subject of peace, I agree totally with Dr. Brady who adds a third element to body-mind healing. He suggests adding the spiritual element. I did that early in my TMS journey and believe it has been helping me greatly. “Ask and eye shall receive” is important toward becoming pain free.

When you are in pain, while telling your subcon it’s not physical but psychological, remember to practice DEEP BREATHING. Most every book or web site about relaxation and meditation – bringing peace to one’s self – stresses the importance of deep breathing. Breathe in a deep breath through the NOSE to the count of about six and inflate your stomach like a balloon. Hold the breath for a few seconds, then breathe out slowly through the MOUTH and deflate the balloon in your stomach while saying POOF! There are a lot of good web sites on how to breathe deeply.

While deep breathing in bed to hasten sleep, forget the balloon and just slowly, calmly, think of a pleasant place like a beach in the sunlight or imagine yourself floating, on water or in the air.

Also, while deep breathing or anytime, practice saying a calming mantra. I like saying over and over again the old mantra “Every day in every way, I’m feeling better and better.” Or: “I feel calm and at peace.”

Another calming thing to do is practice a yoga technique for relieving stress in the mind: use your thumb and index finger of one hand to massage the fleshy place between the thumb and index finger on the other hand, then switch and massage the same place on the other hand. Repeat a dozen or more times. Combine this with a mantra.

Be at peace with others, with yourself, with the Lord, practice forgiveness, keep positive, find ways to laugh and also to meditate, and you will be free of pain. I stopped watching news on television and just keep up with the main events by online news sources, because it’s easy to overdose on bad news. And I also suggest stop multi-tasking and spending a lot of time on those handheld electronic devices. Tune out electronic gadgets and you give yourself a chance to tune in to quiet and calm.

Early in my pain free journey I did quite a bit of posting on TMSWiki and met some wonderful people including fellow pain sufferers. One of the most helpful was/is Eric Watson who, although now pain free continues to help others who are in pain. Forest and others who run the Wiki web site are also very dedicated to helping those still in pain. Like them, I encourage you to keep working at and believing in the
    Sarno Pain Free process and you will be PAIN FREE. It just takes longer for some than others. That may have to do with how strongly you believe in the Sarno process or how many repressed emotions you have. But IT DOES WOIK !

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

this is awesome walt-you have added many concepts and tecniques that r discussed at times here
    but you put them together-this post is healing,courage,dedication,perserverance,and hanging for the rd ahead
    the journey-all rolled into one-keep at the work your doing-you have your secret combonation now-rejoice

Forest and Jilly like this.
  3. tarala

tarala Well known member

Great you keep doing better and better Walt. You've been an inspiration for those of us who are older. I sometimes find the "it's aging" idea creeping in to replace the "it's structural" idea, so you have been a great help. Thanks, Terry

Jilly and eric watson like this.
  4. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Great news, Walt! Thanks for sharing your success story here.

eric watson and Jilly like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Eric, Tarala, and Veronica. I feel like I'm in such good and friendly company.

Jilly and eric watson like this.
  6. tarala

tarala Well known member

The forum is what a family should be-- a place for support, honesty, openmindedness, and humor:)

7. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

This is fabulous ! We are all so HAPPY for you Walt...many many congratulations ! You give us all hope and your gentle spirit is love to all of us. * hugs

eric watson likes this.
  8. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Eric you've helped so many :) ... many thanks to you ...

eric watson likes this.
  9. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

Youre one of the sweetest ever * hugs

eric watson likes this.
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Jilly, thanks, I feel your hugs. I'm hugging you back.

11. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

thank you so much jilly-keep the hugs going guys-hugs is healing too
    im in awe-about the power that we have living on the inside of us

Jilly likes this.
  12. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Walt, it is so great to read that you are doing so much better, and I agree with you that Eric's posts are full of great ideas and tips to help people become pain free. Having the two of you post about what worked for you will help other people suffering with chronic pain for years to come. It is great to have both of you be part of this community. :cool:

I loved your description on how to do deep breathing. I have always had difficulty with calming my mind enough to do meditation, but the way you described it seems like it could work. I remember reading about that yoga technique in Dr. Schubiner's book, but until now I haven't heard of too many people who have tried if before. I'm glad the technique was helpful for you.

In the end it is all about bringing peace to yourself. TMS is caused by repressed emotions, and we repress our emotions because we have some internal conflict that is bothering us. This can range from a specific past event that we repress to having powerful emotions that we find to be unacceptable such as anger or rage. Our conflict can involve both our work or our personal relationships. Once we can obtain inner peace, we can begin to limit our need to repress our emotions. Mindfulness techniques such as meditation and yoga are so key in helping us obtain this peace.

eric watson likes this.
  13. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

The deep breathing really helps to calm the mind and relieve anxiety and tension.
    Even if it isn't done exactly as some suggest, it is very helpful.
    I do a variation of it when in bed and can't fall to sleep.
    Just concentrating on breathing and saying a calming, positive mantra
    helps bring on the sleep.

You're right, it's all about bringing peace to ourself. Not easy in these crazy times and in our demanding lives.

Eric is a great guy, as you are, so dedicated to helping others through Sarno and TMS.
    It's become a big chunk of my life and I'm glad to be among the wiki posters.

eric watson likes this.
  14. Jilly

Jilly Well known member

I wasn’t sure which one it was last night, so I told my subcon to pick out whichever it wanted from my storehouse. The pain went away and I slept. So I FINALLY do know my pain is not from aging or structural deterioration, it is from repressed emotions.

I love that you did this ! I tried it...it works ! HAH ! * hugs Walt, your'e so good !

15. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I think it works, too.
    Why go through the list of repressed emotions every time... our subcon already knows them.

16. Pandamonium

Pandamonium Well known member

Great post Walt, I am glad you have found the way out of TMS. It can be a long journey and there a lots of paths but you have a lot of good advice there for people.
    I personally found that I could search my mind for things that could be causing me stress, and go through all aspects of my life checking them off one by one and even if I didn't find a trigger, just the process was enough to see off the pain. Similar to your approach of letting your subconscious pick one out of the bag.

eric watson likes this.
  17. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I love your Wiki name. I felt I was all journaled out but kept finding more repressed emotions.
    My subcon may not have considered them anything to give me pain, but there were another
    of the others it worked on. Now it's a grab bag.

eric watson likes this.
  18. Pandamonium

Pandamonium Well known member

Thanks, I think you're quite amazing, to be of your generation and to be so open minded about this stuff.I hope that doesnt come across as patronising, its not meant to be. That's quite special.

19. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I understand. Hey, we're friends.
    I've always tried to be positive. My moto is "Never give up."
    Like tennis pro Arthur Ashe said, "Never quit, no matter what the score is."
    And of course, Scarlett O'Hara said, "After all, tomorow is another day."

veronica73 and tarala like this.