1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Is Twitching in the Fingers a symptom of TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ShaneM, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ShaneM

ShaneM Peer Supporter

I am very much confident that the condition I have is TMS, though there is only one thing I have a question about. Does a lack of blood flow and oxygen, or in short the effects of TMS, cause twitching? I believe I have TMS in my hands and forearms; however my fingers tend to subtly but constantly twitch all the time so I'm wondering if that's another symptom.

Hope you guys can answer, thanks in advance!

- ShaneM

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Well Shane, in my case it is TMS. Once a while a random muscle in my body starts to twitch, sometimes a couple of times, sometimes for more than an hour. In certain cases I can relate it to use of that muscle, sometimes I can't. My fingers at times seem to show subtle twitching for a longer time. I blame it all to a sensitized nerve system. This has all improved a lot since the last 8 months, although it is still sometimes there.
    There is a name for this twitching, benign fasciculation syndrome. When I looked at a website about bfs a year ago, the only thing that seemed to help were things that are prescribed for TMS also. Calm down about it, live your live the best you can etc.
    If you are worried about it, see a doctor to rule out anything serious. I think in most cases however, twitching is a benign symptom of inner stress.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Shane,

The one thing to keep in mind is that your unconscious will only try to create a TMS symptom that will get your attention and make you think it is serious. This is why sometimes TMS symptoms are things that go beyond pain, and involve other medically explainable symptoms such as the twitching you mentioned. If one of your symptoms is TMS, then there is a good chance that all of your symptoms are TMS. As Monte Hueftle says, in people with TMS any new symptoms is "99.999% TMS."