1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

"Is Topical OTC Capsaicin Effective for Osteoarthritis?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Tom. It looks like you're not convinced that your hip arthritis is caused by TMS.
    I'm not against medication, especially OTC, and Dr. Sarno says if pain is bad enough, medication is okay, but to believe healing will come from TMS and not from the medicine cabinet. I'm 85 now and have some lower back pain that may be arthritis, but I am still thinking 100 percent that it comes from TMS, repressed emotions or my perfectionist and goodist personality. I also think that everyone I know has some kind of back pain. I think it comes from another kind of TMS... worry, about one thing or another. I try to live in the present moment, stay happy, and keep busy. Pleasant distractions help me a lot.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks Walt, two TMS docs have dx'ed my hip as arthritis: "Get a hip replacement sooner then later!"--that was over 15 years ago--so I guess it's been "later". I've got an open-mind about it though and don't always believe doctor's line calls--even if they're TMS docs. Don Dubin (deceased), a noted TMS therapist, said the same.

I'm seeing an arthroscopic orthopedic surgeon this afternoon, to see what the latest/greatest in minimally invasive surgery may be up to these days--I don't object to a root canal on occasion. I also want to see my latest imaging and send a copy to Dr. Sopher and see what he says.

Cheers,
    tt/lsmft

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    Lizzy likes this.
  4. balto

balto Beloved Grand Eagle

I was diagnosed with hip arthritis years ago too TT. It was painful and affected the way I walk and move. If I raise my right knee to my hip level it will make clicking and rubbing sound. It would sound like cracking your knuckles. Now, beside the clicking sound I have no pain or symptom. There is no definitive test for arthritis. Doctor just look at x-ray and the way we move... and do their "guessing".
    I'm glad I never go for the recommended surgery, I heard many horror stories about failed hip replacement. I never heard anyone die from arthritis, but lots of them die of surgery complications.

Tennis Tom likes this.